Paving slab setting out advice

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Bradley Watkins, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Bradley Watkins

Bradley Watkins New Member

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the setting out of a paving slabs in a rear garden that a ground worker is currently laying for me.

The ground worker has set out a string line and has partially laid edgings offset by 100mm from the fence line along the entire length of the garden and down the side of the house and have laid the slabs (mixture of 900 x 600mm, 600 x 300mm & 300 x 300mm) down the side of the house square from the string line.

An issue has arisen where they have also set out the paving slabs square with an extension that has recently been built which is not square to the string line they were working to, so where the two sets of slabs that have been set out differently meet, the joints in the slabs are not square.

Am I right in thinking that you should always work to a single line, and work back from that so that so all the joints are square and all the paving slabs that butt up against the extension should be cut to suit the line of the building?

I have added photos of what they have done but I personally think this is wrong as it looks like a dogs dinner.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

That’s horrible and no way of salvaging decently without relaying.

If I’m looking at the photos correctly then the least amount of work would be to treat the narrow side return as part of one ‘patio’ and then have a clean break and start the other. Once pointed it won’t be that noticeable .

Might save digging up a whole patio if they’ve got that far not just treat the side return as as a separate entity. The beauty of narrow spaces is that any pattern isn’t going to obvious anyway.

3. Bradley Watkins

Bradley Watkins New Member

Hi Truckcab, thank you for your reply, and yes, that's what has been suggested. Will still look awful though. Just never thought in a million years that anyone would lay paving any other way than from a single set out line!

4. dray

dray Screwfix Select

That really is awful and difficult to see how to reclaim it. Would it be possible to drop a string line down against the wall and before the grill, from the top patio through to the path?

It might be that then cutting all to the right of the string and relaying with one straight joint from top to bottom, and adjusted along the grill , gets rid of all the little slivers and also brings the bottom path into line. Might not work with the main patio's and will also mean small cuts against the fence but that could be sorted.

You need to see what would happen at the top and bottom patio with the string down as I describe, to see if it would be more acceptable.

To me, if that does not work then I would be asking for it to be taken up and somebody else relaying but I suspect that you have already invested money on this so not an easy call.

Hope you manage to get it sorted

5. Truckcab79

Don’t worry too much. Do what I said originally. Break it into 2 or 3 separate zones.

Agree a financial allowance that you’re happy with. Even decently laid patios look rough until they’re pointed. Just don’t go for a contrasting dark pointing and it’ll look fine.

6. Truckcab79

The slivers are easily got rid of. Just replace the stone adjacent and in the case of that 600 for instance use a 900 and cut it. Or a 300 then a 600, whatever takes the next slab past the joint in one piece.

dray likes this.
  7. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

It is dreadful. It isn’t just the general lack of planning but also the detail. It is stupid to have small slabs / slivers everywhere as they exaggerate the problem.

It could be done as 2 or 3 separate areas. But to do this you shouldn’t attempt to make the pattern follow through.

The 700 passageway should be done with 900x600 cut down to 700x600 maybe with say a (350x600)+(350x600) and (250x600)+(450x600) to break it up.

You could have a few tiles cut at angles but the noticeably wide filled joint in photo 102 is wrong.