PC Protection

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by MOONSHINE, Sep 8, 2007.

1. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

I have been testing many programmes paid & freeware for security of Pc protection, & would like to know what you chaps use Spy ware AV Firewalls etc After much testing I have come up with one or two good free programmes. Any idiots who care to make silly comments are probably invested just like their computers are.

2. Ivorsmallun

Ivorsmallun New Member

"infested"

I use norton 360, wants to back up too much if you ask me. (i know, thats not a free one)
    Also got spyware doctor free, but had to shut it off as it was a nuisance, cant say i`ve really found a good free one

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

i too have norton, the one you get free on purchase, have never renewed it but it still seems to block attacks.
    (blocked some trojan type thing this very morning)
    What i find best is, i don't have anything on my pc that is worth having, can't see a ketstroke hacker being interested in the nonsense i post on here!
    I have a few photos and stuff but i'm sure no one wants to see my ugly mug, oh and i have a haircut 100 album!

4. Jim

Jim Guest

Most people that use a free antivirus use this one because its the best:

http://free.grisoft.com/

or you could pay for the updated one but not really needed.

5. ­

­ New Member

AVG Free is the dog's donuts.

6. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

I use (and would recommend) AVG, too.

7. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

HGV driver

Re: PC Protection
    Posted: Sep 8, 2007 4:06 PM Reply

"infested"

I use norton 360, wants to back up too much if you ask me. (i know, thats not a free one)
    Also got spyware doctor free, but had to shut it off as it was a nuisance, cant say i`ve really found a good free one

There isn’t much I don’t know about Norton people give it stick & it will slow down poor computers but I was using it for 6 years. I tested 360 good all round protection just a stripped down version of other Norton products. I found the updates took a ,long time to download, but love Norton’s firewall believe me some firewalls out there are **** & some will alert to many times. You need to watch what you download on paid or freeware it can cause you many problems. I don’t think 360 will get on with many spyware programmes I know it uninstalls windows defender before installing itself. You are more or less covered in protection. If you want any good clean up tools I will post in a day or two the best programmes you can run that will not F up your coms.

8. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

extremelycleverman

Posted: Sep 8, 2007 5:17 PM Reply

AVG Free is the dog's donuts.

Jonny Round Boy

Posted: Sep 8, 2007 5:22 PM Reply

I use (and would recommend) AVG, too.

2 for AVG Good virus protector breakdown version of the paid one The Security suite of AVG’s Firewall are a bit weak but then again they are renowned for AV & not all round security. Do you run AVG Anti-rootkit & AVG free Spyware? If you post I would like to know what firewalls spyware & AV you’re all using.

9. andyd2604

andyd2604 Member

AVG every time. we use it at work (a large mulitinational) the free version is brilliant for home use

10. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

I think there is cross wires here I wasn’t asking for advice just wanted to see how well you lot are protected. AV, SPYWARE, FIREWALLS.

Now I will tell you what I have tested & set up on a 3GHz 1.GB of ram Duel core processor.

Avast free Anti Virus

Comodo free Firewall

Comodo free BOClean

Microsoft free Windows Defender active scanner

AVG free anti rootkit

AVG free spyware scanner

Easing free Registry Cleaner

CCleaner new free version

File shredder free

Trend Micro free cwshredder this deals with Internet explorer browser high jacking

What I do miss is Norton System works Goback & Norton’s firewall

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

AVG free for AV, and sygate personal firewall free. Not had any problems(famous last words, I know).

Sygate tells me if anyone is trying to make connection(in or out - if I haven't previously allowed it) and AVG has told me a couple of times of a Backdoor trojan. All sorted.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

12. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Mr. Handyandy

Posted: Sep 8, 2007 11:41 PM Reply

AVG free for AV, and sygate personal firewall free. Not had any problems(famous last words, I know).

Sygate tells me if anyone is trying to make connection(in or out - if I haven't previously allowed it) and AVG has told me a couple of times of a Backdoor trojan. All sorted.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

Sygate wow that's an old firewall Sygate was taken over by Norton Symantec. Have you ever had any updates for this firewall?

If you’re using avg AV why not download avg free spyware scanner & rootkit scanner if you do post back what you find. Windows defender is a good free real-time monitor.

If you want to check the antivirus & firewall you can test here post the results.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 for firewall http://www.eicar.org/ For antivirus testing

13. CRS - Ross

CRS - Ross New Member

I'm using AVG av and spyware, a ZoneLabs firewall and run ccleaner to empty caches etc. No problems so far, but then again, the problems start when you wonder off the straight and narrow! Where do you think the term 'backdoor trojan' comes from? It ain't music sites... lmfao

14. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Ross -

Posted: Sep 9, 2007 9:27 AM Reply

I'm using AVG av and spyware, a ZoneLabs firewall and run ccleaner to empty caches etc. No problems so far, but then again, the problems start when you wonder off the straight and narrow! Where do you think the term 'backdoor trojan' comes from? It ain't music sites... lmfao

That is a miss conception Ross music downloads music sites Limewire etc can all give you nastiest. I can give you a link to a site for Nessa Dorma Pavarotti & it will send you a Trojan. What I did discover on a machine was Ares that was deep imbedded this was a password stealer that went undetected by a few spyware programmes. What gets me if you want to be 99% covered is you would need so many programmes on your computer I have read some have 6 or 7 this is over kill & some plant there own spyware on the computers anyway. One is Spycatcher. What i listed above seems a lot of programmes but they are very small & not system hogs. You have CCleaner try Eusing reg cleaner it is a safe programme.

15. hotnuts21

hotnuts21 Member

Part of my job is to evaluate and install security and protection software.

For those people who really want to pay for software the top two seem to be Mcafee and Norton products, particularly their all in one suites. Norton is the better product, but having to pay yearly for access to updates is annoying (and a Anti-virus product just a few days out of updates is nearly as bad as having nothing). Also it can use up a lot of system resources and more often than not on personal computers it will slow the machine down. It can also be a nightmare to fix errors and problems when they crop up and is very hard to remove fully from a machine.

Nod32 is an excellent paid product and well worth a look if you want to pay for the support etc.

We install the following no 99% of machines, using Nod32 if we find we have a particular issue.

AVG anti virus and remember to switch on the automatic updates. (Google AVG Free)
    Zonealarm is an excellent firewall and well worth installing, even if your behind your routers firewall. (free and paid versions, the free is fine)
    Spybot search and destroy for getting rid or and protecting against sypware.
    Lavasoft Ad-aware Personal is another great sypware/adware programme run alongside spybot they are great.

Having all these products is great but they are just tools you have to utilise. Remember to run an antivirus scan once a week, and both spyware programmes also once a week, the spyware programmes run quickly.

Also dont forget to do a disk cleanup and defrag your hard drive every 1-2 months to keep your system healthy and to ensure the above programmes run smoothly and quickly.

My PC and two laptops are running Win xp service pack 2 along with AVG, Zonealarm, Spybot ad-aware with no problems to date.

16. hotnuts21

hotnuts21 Member

I forgot to mention installing programmes like Firefox and Thunderbird will help to keep you more protected from vulnerabilities as well as to enhance your online experience.

Firefox is a web browser
    Thunderbird is an email client googling either will bring them up.

17. Harry_Davison

Harry_Davison New Member

go here when you got your firewall set up
    an use shields up tester
    www.grc.com some other good free stuff there for your PC

I use sygate firewall
    an AVG Free Edition an AntiVir Guard Classic both work together an are excellent, better than that norton piece of bloated **** that finds faults/non existant viruses...

I also use these proggies
    Spybot search an destroy...
    Memory washer...
    Ccleaner....
    Ashampoo AntiSpyware...
    Trojan cleaner...
    Ad-Aware Pro ...
    East-tec Eraser....(gutmman method stops all recovery )
    XP Registry cleaner...
    XoftSpy Pro..
    XP Repair Pro ...
    just a few I use all excellent ...*cough cracked cough*

18. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Firefox is a good Browser but you still need Internet explorer for Microsoft updates.
    There are gripes about the new free Zone alarm freeware I tested the Zone alarm paid version of internet security suite & it was having gripes with Skype Also it is a bit of a system hog but that’s what you get with all round security.
    If anyone wants to delete any Norton product Norton’s removal tool will take of most of it off then if you are brave enough you can go hunting in Regedit to find the rest. I only had one or two problems with Norton in the passed & easily fixed. I was thinking about the 360 but system works & goback will not function with this product only Norton internet security will. What my gripe is the amount you have to pay for the product then yearly updates fee Norton new it wouldn’t be worth while people renewing so was forced to by the upgrade or full version. The problem people have is when installing products & then delete there is many things left behind & this may cause conflicts with other programmes they download. This is where Eusing will clear most of the redundant registry.