Peelaway to remove paint on marble?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Kels, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Kels

Kels New Member

Hi all,

I'm wondering if I can use Peelaway7 to remove paint on top of marble but not damaging it. I've moved into a flat the marble fireplace was painted, how crazy!

Thanks in advance.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Probably. Best phone and ask though. Think it works by breaking down paint bond vs acid or solvent attack. I'm going to painting show later this month so will ask many questions at stand. There is a youtube video demo from you could watch but don't know if helpful

3. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

All modern paint strippers are nanny-state, PC, risk-averse, safety-first, ineffective, costly rubbish. The only proven, reliable method of removing paint any from any surface (except plastic) is to use methylene chloride aka dichloromethane. It was the active ingredient in the original (and legendary) 'Nitromors' stripper before it was banned - because it once cause cancer in a rat after it was forced to drink 500 gallons of it, after having spent a few years living in cage whose air supply consisted of 98% methylene chloride vapour.

It's fortunately still available - but not from anywhere on a retail park or a high street.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202374029201?hash=item2f1e6e9f91:g:MGMAAOSwCitgpk0A

Joking apart - use care, protect yourself, employ good ventilation and don't breathe it in any more than absolutely necessary. The science isn't proven, but that rat did actually snuff it.

Edit - if the philistine numpty has coated the beautiful marble with waterbased paint instead of solvent-based - the above won't work. Best route is gentle application of a heat gun and careful scraping.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Apparently it strips both, bit confusing the op having posted the same question twice as there is now 2 live questions asking the same!