Pelmet and cove with open end wall units

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Burlington Bertie, May 17, 2008.

1. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

What do you guys do with pelmet and cove when you fit an open end wall unit with rounded edges. With normal units these would go to the end of the last unit, but if you do this on rounded end units the cove/pelmet would stick out beyond the rounded edge. Do you fit them to the last unit before the open ended unit so that none is fitted to the rounded units?

2. cosworth

cosworth New Member

i set the cove to front edge of door not carcass so when you get to the open end it would be hangin further forward because of no door.

3. cosworth

cosworth New Member

if its a flush to the unit pelmet i'd set this a few MM in so as not to see the top of mitre on the rounded edge.

4. Burlington Bertie

But if you do that, when you fit the cove/mitre, the 90 degree angle would not match the rounded end of the open ended unit i.e it would overhang/underhang the rounded edge or am I missing something

5. cosworth

cosworth New Member

im assuming you mean an open end with a 90 deg or a 2 angled 45 degree that has just a curve to soften the corner.

if its a 90 you have to mitre 45s and 22.5s for the 45 units.you cant curve your mitre so its the only solution if im understanding you right.
    on the cornice i'd cut as normal possibly setting slightly back if it overhung too much and also with pelmet. but what else can you do really.
    your just doing the best you can to match a mitre join to a radius. am i making sense or confusing us all???

6. Burlington Bertie

They are open ended units that do not have 2 X 45 degrees, just rounded corners (small radius), basically to take the sharp edge of the corner. If I fit the cove/cornice either to the edge of the doors or to the edge of the carcass, When I get to the rounded corners of the open ended units, I will either have the cove/cornice mitre overhanging or underhanging the rounded corner as I will then have a 90 degree mitre for the cove/cornice over/under a radius and it will look odd

7. fuzzy bear

fuzzy bear New Member

hello bertie
    if you put your return pelemt/cornice flush with the side of the wall units, rather than continuing the same as flush with the door, when you get to the small radius on the open shelf the mitre will be out of sight. not easy to explain but hopfuly you get the idea, we do this as a standard practice on german kitchens.

8. valleybilly

valleybilly New Member

quarter round units are supplied with matching parts , ie doors plinths pelmet and cornice . if your Kitchen isn't then ask for a refund !

9. Wayne K

Wayne K New Member

I do as Cosworth says, 2mm back from edge works fine.

10. posh chip

posh chip New Member

Tricky one, depends on door style as to whether you can set pelmet and cornice back a bit - or not! Generally as Cosworth says a couple of mil back should cater for most quadrant shelves.