People eh

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by BikerChris, Feb 14, 2020.

  1. BikerChris

    BikerChris Active Member

    Went round a job (not a spark), heard the client say to the spark if they can take some socket covers off so they can wall paper. Spark said he'd do it in a few days as busy.

    Meanwhile home owner decides not to wait when i am there the next day upstairs and I hear a bang and ground floor lecky goes out. Go down stair to see frightened woman with burnt screwdriver.

    She was in shock about it, but i just said do not touch until spark comes back round. Electric is invisible and dangerous for it I said.

    Wow
     
  2. Heat

    Heat Well-Known Member

    That’ll teach her!
    You might have had to give her some mouth to mouth resuscitation and some chest pumps!

    Is she good looking? ;)

    Most people don’t realise how dangerous electrics can be. I hate to see unsheathed cables coming out of plugs for example.
    Just remembered one lady customer I was looking at her radiators and noticed a table lamp had a terminal block connector to join a longer flex.
    Was bare and no tape over it, although still wouldn’t been safe.
    Apparently it had been done long ago to use lamp to reach a wall socket, but was now close to sockets. I had to remove the extra cable and fit plug back onto the shorter flex from lamp. Lady had no idea her little grandchildren or anyone could have been killed. Also was no RCD as House electrics old.
     
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    BikerChris likes this.
  3. MGW

    MGW Well-Known Member

    As a child, around 8 sitting at kitchen worktop to do home work saw bulb missing on counter light wondered what was inside the socket felt a button I could push in and out then touched other button, decided then needed to learn more about electricity, seems push switch had broken so dad had removed bulb, no MK safe BA22d sockets then, and not even an ELCB-v but I did study electric as a result becoming in fullness of time an electrical engineer.

    And have realised what may seem safe to an adult is not safe for a child with an inquiring mind. Last thing you should do is teach how to use a screwdriver, but dad gave me Meccano, with un-insulated screwdriver, and I see those toys pushed into 13A sockets everywhere, seems we encourage people to play, trying for the Darwin moment.
     
    BikerChris likes this.
  4. Comlec

    Comlec Well-Known Member

    @MGW in his younger days

    upload_2020-2-14_16-33-41.png
     
    ElecCEng, RolandK and Joe the Plumber like this.
  5. Tony Goddard

    Tony Goddard Well-Known Member

    I vividly remember at school we had 12V power points on the science lab benches fed from an huge transformer in the prep room made by a firm called Legg, it was like something out of frankensteins lab, massive oversized round panel meters etc.. Also on the benches were regular 13A sockets, MK with the shutter that opens by the L&N pins going in, rotating out of the way.

    One lesson we were doing optics, with a 12V lamp in a box on two 4mm jacks off the 12V supply. Me and my mate decided to pimp up our outfit by giving the lamp 230v and shoving the jacks into the 13A socket - flippin 'eck there was a big bang and the bulb literally exploded - detention.

    Then one dull day in drama we decided to mess about with the stage lighting dimmers, pushing bits of paper through the slot where the slider handle went up and down - and setting fire to it on the very hot windings within - this worked well until I used a polo wrapper and got my first 230v belt, followed by a belt from the headmaster later that day.

    Perhaps as pennance I got the job some 20 years later of ripping out the old resistance dimmers and putting in the new electronic ones - and out of one fell some bits of charred paper and foil covered in dust - memories!
     

    Attached Files:

    BikerChris and Wayners like this.
  6. BikerChris

    BikerChris Active Member

    lol! Fair point, she weren't bad looking at all ;-)

    You do see some bad things though, if I even seem them near the gas, I am there and stop em straight away.

    Wow, that's a bad one you saw, just imagine how bad a person would feel if they killed a member of family through doing something and they should never ever have done.
     
    Heat likes this.
  7. Tony Goddard

    Tony Goddard Well-Known Member

    A very bizzare one from about 15 years ago, had to go to a local stately home which had been sold, to take down some chandelier for the old aristos who were moving out. The lady of the house asked me if I could find a home for a rather grand 1920's belling electric fire - it was one of the ones with the element coils laid in grooves in blocks of fire cement. I said it wouldn't class as safe now, but i'd chuk it in the van to get rid. I commented one of the 3 blocks appeared to be newer than the other two.

    She then recounted the story of her two year old grandaughter who had touched the element and recieved a fatal jolt back in the late 60's - I exclaimed "my god thats dreadful" to which her ladyship replied, "oh but we have many grandchildren, it cost a lot to get the fire mended though and we had to wait for the part" - amazing and an unforgetable exchange that will stay with me forever!
     
    BikerChris likes this.
  8. Heat

    Heat Well-Known Member

    Yes, it was so harmless looking probably to the customer, but lethal.
    I am not an electrician, (although I do know the basics), but I had to immediately remove the connector block and use the plug to fit on the lamp flex end.
    I could never have walked away without first making it safe in some way.
    We should take photos of all the bad work we come across
     
    BikerChris likes this.
  9. Heat

    Heat Well-Known Member

    Crikey! That was so heartless of her!
    Maybe it was just her way of dealing with it. :(
    If that had been my electric fire I would have binned it at the time of the accident.
    Strange she remembered it cost a lot to repair a electric fire. :eek:
     
  10. Tony Goddard

    Tony Goddard Well-Known Member

    Yep, thats what I thought, I kept it, and still have it for use as a demo when I occasionally teach PAT testing - I tell the tale and the whole class gaze at the thing!
     
    BikerChris likes this.
  11. Heat

    Heat Well-Known Member

    Would make me feel uneasy to look at it tbh.
    But I suppose good to educate people the dangers of electrics by showing them the fire
     
  12. Tony Goddard

    Tony Goddard Well-Known Member

    Yep, and somehow it felt wrong just to chuck it out - it's a sombre thing, no doubt about that, but a real life example of something dangerous that actually caused a tragedy, rather than just a potential for one.
     
    BikerChris and Heat like this.
  13. sparky steve

    sparky steve Active Member

    @BikerChris lol! Fair point, she weren't bad looking at all ;-) So was there not a spark between you?;)
     
    BikerChris likes this.
  14. sparky steve

    sparky steve Active Member

    I remember some years back, a small child recieved a fatal shock from an artificial christmas tree decorated with a 240volt fairy light set. The metal structure of the tree had become live, damaged insulation, the child had touched the tree & an adjacent gas pipe recieving a fatal shock. No rcds then. Also remember people recieving shocks whilst cleaning out crumbs from their toasters with a kitchen knife. when i was a child, we had a 2bar electric fire which my father used to switch on during winter months while we waited to get heat from the coal fire. Do you remember it used to seem to take forever after lighting with sticks& newspaper & sometimes the added luxury of a firelighter. Was always told never to poke anything between the bars as i would recieve a shock! I always wondered what a shock would feel like, but thankfully was never tempted to find out. However i found out quite a few years later when i received my first shock while doing my electrical apprenticeship.:confused:
     
  15. peter palmer

    peter palmer Well-Known Member

    Fake but funny



    The gas taps in the science lab were the best if you wanted to have a laugh, could get quite a flame out of them. Can't imagine they have things like this nowadays.
     
  16. SIRJOHN19

    SIRJOHN19 New Member

    Well I suppose I had better chirp in, Just a toddler in the fifties I decided to see if the toasting fork which was hung on a hook beside the fireplace would fit in the 5A two pin socket.... And it was a perfect fit for two of the three prongs. I shot across the room and was told (as we sat in the dark) it was a good job I had my sandles on. There and then I decided I would master this and despite making a toasting fork in metalwork later at school, I never tried it again. Yes memories!
     
    BikerChris likes this.
  17. Comlec

    Comlec Well-Known Member

    Any one ever play catch with charged capacitors?
     
  18. Mr Rusty

    Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

    Is there anyone on here under 30 that has a decent story about doing dangerous things as a nipper, is there anyone on here over 55 that hasn't....
     
    WillyEckerslike likes this.
  19. SIRJOHN19

    SIRJOHN19 New Member

    No & No
     
  20. Sparkielev

    Sparkielev Well-Known Member

    I set fire to my sister's David Cassidy poster, it was on her bedroom wall at the time nearly burnt the house down
     

Share This Page