pergola ledger board

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by chrisNewDIY, Mar 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. chrisNewDIY

chrisNewDIY New Member

Hi, new here , currently looking to build a lean to pergola, attached to brick house.

its only maybe a 10" foot by 10" one.
    question is , i know how to put a ledger board on, proper bolts etc, but as its above patio doors (which are 8" 3 inches from ground level, where should i put the ledger board for the rafters?

do i have to go up say, 2-3 brick widths ? ive read people online saying have to attach to 2nd floor foundations, but not 100% where that is.
    I'll be using i think a 2x8 pressure treated board, 10foot long .

seen everywhere online how to do it etc, bolt sizes, washers to protect from wall for air gap, just not where to put it if above patio doors.
    thanks in advance :)

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Why not just build it as a free standing unit, sink the posts in the ground

3. chrisNewDIY

chrisNewDIY New Member

Hi wiggy, space i have there is 10foot width, so would look better attached to house. I may put 2 posts Tho next to house also, just for strength,looks,not sure. Will be having 2 posts in concrete also 10feet ish from the house.
    I think bolting a board to brick will be OK,just 2nd guessing myself..

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Its a personal choice chris but I have been doing this sort of stuff for years and I wouldn't bolt to the wall if I didn't have too.

5. chrisNewDIY

chrisNewDIY New Member

Fair enough. Just wanted a lean to pergola, doesn't appear to be hard to do as see so many online. I would build it freestanding, 4 posts if in a different spot. But for this, just 2 posts, and other end supported by house wall,ledger etc :)
    Guess I need to find the right spot above patio doors somehow.

wiggy likes this.
  6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

It is only my personal preference chris and what I believe to be best practice, with a wall ledger you will get a build up of debris no matter the gap you leave and when the pergola rots which it will do, you or whoever moves in after you will be left with holes or bolts sticking out the wall, a good compromise would be to concrete two posts up against the house wall and stick your ledger to the front of them.

7. chrisNewDIY

chrisNewDIY New Member

Yea, but I will either have a gap,with washers, or flash the top of the ledger. The pergola itself will last 20years or more. I look after my wood :)
    It's just a pergola / patio cover. Bolting a piece of 2x8 to the wall is ok. Plus will add joist hangers. Just wasn't too sure if I needed to bolt to a 1st floor foundation, or if the bricks immediately above patio doors would be OK.
    I get what u mean tho with the posts too. Could do that if no alternative :)
    Thank you BTW for answering.