Persimmon new build DPC query

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DotNetter, Jun 10, 2020.

1. DotNetter

DotNetter New Member

Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a new build detached house on a very hilly site.

I don't have photos but hopefully can describe the issue.

The neighbouring plot has a ground level approximately 15" above my plot.

between the two properties is a boundary fence - the fence is approximately 5 foot from the external wall of the house I'm buying.

From the external wall, the ground slopes up towards the neighbouring plot. I can't see any retaining wall between the two plots and the fence posts just appear to go into the ground rather than a wall.

It looks as though the builders have physically pushed the soil away from the house just to get the inspection passed in terms of DPC height and I can't see anything stopping the soil eventually falling back down and covering the DPC course.

I've raised this as a snag with Persimmon and am yet to hear back. I just wanted some opinions from professionals. Am I worrying unnecessarily, is this standard practice??

In terms of what is needed - I've suggested a retaining wall and that some of the soil should be moved elsewhere on site. Does this sound correct?

Regards,

Wayne

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

To me, a retaining wall would definitely be preferable to relying on a timber fence (it is timber?) However...

If I were you, I'd get my deposit back and buy a nice 100 year old house somewhere else. All new developer-built houses are dreadful rubbish. I sometimes have to work in them, and I just can't understand for the life of me why anyone would want to buy one.

Thin walls made of plasterboard, ghastly plastic pipework, chipboard floors nailed and glued onto fabricated thin plywood and 2" x 2" softwood 'joists', cheap fittings, poxy gardens, the list just goes on. They're not known as 'Gob-ons' for nothing.

I can guarantee your developer will fob you off with platitudes and if you do then have problems in a couple of years, they won't want to know.

Sorry Wayne, it's nothing personal, but I'd urge you to have a very hard think while you have the chance.

3. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Harsh Joe but so true.

4. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Not Devon is it?

I might not go back 100 yrs, but definitely a 60/70s build.