Perspex instead of tiles for shower surround?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Tinderstick, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Trog

Trog New Member

Just fitted "Mermaid" panels in my shower cubicle. Very good product, wide range of colours and easy to fit. Gibbs and Dandy stock them.

2. Nailed On

Nailed On New Member

I have a similar projec to do using a product called aquapanel I think. Sorry, no link.

Whats the best corner detail. Can it simply be butted and siliconed sealed oor sealed with a coloured mastic?

Cheers

3. Tinderstick

Tinderstick New Member

RE Mermaid Panels

This looks like a great product... do you know if you can cut them???

The height seems set at 2400mm - for standard shower enclosures, I suppose!

I need to panel round a bath with shower over - it doesn't allow me this height. Because these panels are a custom product I'm guessing they are not suitable for cutting down???

ANY IDEAS!!!

4. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

There's some (limited) info on the FAQ page, which says you can cut them. Doesn't say what you would cut then with, but the panels appear to be just WBP ply with a laminate covering, so general woodworking tools I'd guess.

5. Tinderstick

Tinderstick New Member

6. Yes you can cut them, I used a circular saw with a high quality blade in it and cut the sheet upside down.

And it is in fact laminated 9mm WBP ply, with Formica on both sides.

7. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I've used the upvc type sheet b4 when doing a cheap and cheerful toilet block for a campsite. As clever man says, if you use quality silicone and cut it neatly it does look quite good.

I'm afraid the client supplied so no idea on suppliers.