petrol belle maximix mixer dont start

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Big Bad Adam from Scotland, Apr 23, 2017.

1. to me it must be someting to do with the spark plug not sparking?

In my new video

you cant see a spark?

2. P.S.

Its starts 30 secs into the video

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

DA just for you,I give the Briggs & Stratton Type ā€œPā€ 1hp engine, dates from around 1928.[​IMG]

And the very rare Model S, only a few thousand made.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. Unlike Brexit, these two vids almost did give me a hard one. :)

Awesome! I love the kick-start :D

5. :eek:

For a second there I almost thought you were saying the engine started 30s in to the video!

Ok, a couple of things: The choke pops in on the first pull - you need to keep it out or else your engine won't get the rich fuel mix it needs to start. I don't know why it pops it - is it the shaking of the engine knocks that large washer against it? Or could it be a design feature - the engine 'sucks' the choke in as soon as it starts (tho' I doubt it).

But, you need summat to hold it out - do you have a spring clip or similar you can slip over the choke shaft to hold it out (but that can be quickly removed when it starts?) Eg: mQKxnLYc8DGdFxHUl5vZJUA.jpg

The next point is, you cannot see if there's a spark unless you remove the spark plug. Ok, there is an easier way, but you'd have to clip that sparkplug lead firmly in place.

The best way is to remove the sparkplug, reconnect the top cable, lay the plug on its side on top of the engine block and set up your camera (you clearly have a tri-pod) so that you have good close-up of the 'gap'. Then crank the engine a few times and watch the video - a spark should be quite visible.

(Or, simply remove the top lead and see if you can lay it around 4mm from the engine top, or an engine nut, or the lower metal BODY of the spark plug. The tricky thing will be to keep this gap steady 'cos if it opens too far the spark might not be able to jump. So bnest to remove the plug and do it the first way.)

Report back :)

6. Hold the plug, not the lead, with your bare arm on the engine as you try to start it.

Report back :rolleyes:

But not if you have a weak heart or pacemaker fitted. Because guess why? It will prove if the plug is creating a spark.

No point doing anything else until you know if the plug is sparking or not.

KIAB likes this.
  7. I tried sitting spark plug on top of engine with lead attached on top pulled my wire at least 6 x times this morning and still nothing sparking?

What does one do next?

:(:(

8. what next cant see a spark?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You need a three leg puller to remove the fly wheel cover to check the points, condenser, posted a linky earlier in thread, see POST 69 previous page in fact.
    Probably better to remove engine & take it to a garden machinery repair place, even some hire shops offer small engine repairs.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You could fit a solid-state ignition conversion kit (service part number 394970), more reliable, sure it covered the 3HP engine, can't remember, can't find B&S booklets either.
    But, a B&S service agent will tell you, enter your post code in link below to find local dealer.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en_gb/support/dealer-locator.html

Pretty sure part is still availble, but I could be wrong.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Briggs-Stratton-394970-Magnetronr-Ignition/dp/B0038U3LUK

And a good place for B&S spares.

12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

14. If you go that route, fit the two poles as close to the flywheel as you can - a ciggie paper's thickness away. Ie, chust so that it is not quite touching.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spot on.:)

Better idea look for a Honda engine.:D

16. Could you repeat this with your camera set up so's the spark plug fills the lens, side on? With a pull on the crank, there will only be around 2 or 3 spark jumps - easy to miss.

Especially when you haven't a clue about engines. (Yes, that's you... :p )

'Cos it's hard to see a spark when you are busy cranking.

You really need to be CERTAIN there ain't a spark before you start pulling the bludy engine apart...

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I stick a piece of black or dark colour card behind spark plug, will make it easier to see spark.:)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  18. Will so once stops fcking raining, god dam weather:(