[Photos] Very noisy plastic pipe connections when valves are opened and closed?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by RipGroove, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Nice to get feedback on the problem and how it was solved.

2. Blimey - it's the joints themselves?

Is your water pressure particularly high?

3. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Yeah the actual joints were expanding and contracting very quickly when valves were opened and closed. Maybe they weren't lubed properly? And no I tested my water pressure when I first noticed the problem 2 years ago, I can't remember what the reading was but I remember it was on the lower end of what it should be.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I known the old acorn joints squeak quietly, but this must be a first with joints making so much noise.

5. Thanks.

Well that's a new on on me - movement in the actual joints that would allow such a noise.

Jeepers. :(

6. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I know, crazy, all I did was fit new joints with a quick spray of Hep2O lube and it's almost silent now.

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I use the Hep2O lube on fittings I have had for a while, unsealed or when remaking a joint. Good thing about ScrewFix is that their individual fittings are in sealed bags so lube should not be required - other suppliers have them open.

8. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I see, could have been dry joints then maybe.

9. cipnt

cipnt New Member

Very useful thread and thank you to all that posted suggestions.
    Like the OP, I have an almost identical problem with the same style of pipes and fittings, but luckily my pipes were making the noise from under the bathtub and I could investigate easily by removing the side panel.
    My pipes are also very loosely installed with almost no fixing points and they can move/flex very easily, so at first I assumed it was the pipe banging/rubbing against the plaster walls that was causing the noise and tried enlarging the holes they go through, but that didn't help.
    I installed a water hammer arrestor right next to my washing machine (since that causes most of the fast on/off hammering) but that made almost no difference either.
    The thing that improved things the most was closing the mains water tap enough to reduce the water flow rate, but that meant some loss in water pressure upstairs especially when a tap is opened elsewhere in the house. This makes me think that a pressure reducing valve, as it was suggested here, would help in my case and I shall try that next.
    What I noticed is that it is the polypipe fittings themselves that make the noise not the pipes' movement. If I put my finger on between the pipe and fitting I can feel some movement of the pipe in and out of the fitting as the pressure changes. I am hoping if I change the fittings with newer ones and use some Hep20 lubricant on them it will do the trick.
    Fingers crossed