Pica and Tracer pencils

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Truckcab79, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

I’ve had four of these now. Both brands start off brilliant and the minute they get damp (impossible to avoid for me) they turn to mush and whatever you do to clean them out and dry them they never work properly again. At £15 a pop they’re not exactly cheap. Short of the obvious ‘just use a pencil’ answers anyone suggest another brand that will work for more than 5 minutes. (I’ve actually had 5 and one of my dogs chewed one so I’m not counting that as a failure on their part. :D

2. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

I'm mainly fencing, I use the Sharpies, less money lost . Have to give dust etc a sweep off first.
    Will still give a Pica or Tracer a go out of curiosity.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I don’t mind admitting that I’ve got a bit of a pencil fetish :) !!

Fussy on my pencils for general paperwork, both around the house and also the day job but for diy tasks, these are my two current go-to marking implements;

1A900F80-6711-4567-8AD9-D920BA2594BB.jpeg 333C9F52-511B-4FEA-9D37-D22FC61F7EFE.jpeg

The Ox pencil is clearly fashioned on a snap off knife, the ‘lead’ leaves a nice, accurate thin line, not overly strong but good for more detailed marking on smooth surfaces

The Striker pencil has a thicker, much tougher ‘lead’ that is great for marking rough sawn timber, concrete, slabs, etc. Can be sandpapered to give a finer point if needed

Neither pencil has a built in sharpener, no additional features but replacement ‘leads’ easily available and in a variety of colours

Have tried out the Pica but the price tag put me off ,,,,,,, but can see the advantage it has for marking through pilot holes in timber

Seems to be a growing market though for these work pencils that totally reinvent the humble writing implement

Just depends what your using the pencil for I guess so maybe, a variety of ‘fancy’ pencils to hand is the best option to cover all bases - even the humble Screwfix pencil, ‘borrowed’ from the counter does the job at times :)

4. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Staedtler Noris all day long for me. Get through about 50 a year …….

pppmacca43, longboat and Kitfit like this.
  5. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

Staedtier Norris. 2h 50 pence a go

6. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

For me, it's a combo of old fashioned carpenters pencils, and the hundreds of small one's i've grabbed from Ikea/SF :)

7. ginger tuffs

Only trouble with carpenter pencil they don’t fit behind ear

Kitfit likes this.
  8. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

That's where the small ones come in handy... And I can't tell you the number of times of "lost my pencil", only to find it on my ear hours later :D

ginger tuffs and Kitfit like this.
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

For paperwork, I prefer a Faber-Castell Grip 2001 ….. one nice pencil !

10. ginger tuffs

Are Fabre castellated grip the triangle shaped ones

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yes indeed :)
    Triangular, silver with grippy black dots

A fine looking pencil I must add - writes nicely as well and no, you don’t need a triangular pencil sharpener !!

ginger tuffs likes this.