Picking people's brains on TS55

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by biasqinc, Aug 17, 2010.

1. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting a TS55, 1400w router and dust extractor from Festool. I already have the jigsaw ad love the quality. I have a few questions.

Can I use the TS55 to cut end panels without having to finish off with a router or laminate trimmer? Is the finish really that good.

Is the dust extractor really that good or is a very expensive hoover at around £400.00

I currently use a Dewalt 2kw router, will the 1.4kw Festool seem underpowered.

My aim is to reduce the dust I create on site. My Dewalt router is cumbersome when fitted with all the dust extraction stuff connected to a Wickes wet and dry hoover.

Also am I likely to increase my productivity?

2. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

The TS55 will leave a great edge without trimming. But,,,, It all depends on the sharpness of the blade to start with and also how many TPI (the more the better.
    The dust extractor is basically a very overpriced hoover.
    The TS55 will undoubtedly increase your productivity when used with the guide rail. Cutting worktops, panels etc leaves an edge that requires very little work to tidy it up. I've used it to cut worktops where a light sanding leaves an edge ready to glue the laminate strip on. Sink and hob cutouts are done in a fraction of the time it takes with a jigsaw. You just need the jigsaw to get into the corners.
    A beautiful tool IMHO. Dunno about the router, but if it's as good as other Fessy tools then I'd go for it.

3. G Brown

G Brown New Member

TS55 is superb, I would stay with the Dewalt router.

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Ditto to Cleggy.

5. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

The TS55 i've had for a few years and it's superb, does everything everyone says and more. I recently bought the extractor on a bit of an expensive whim ( my mate was going to get one so I jumped in and we got a deal for 2 ) and its proved to be invaluable, extracts very efficiently and it isn't too awkward to use. The auto start is brill and it great to be able to cut indoors without filling the house with dust.Last kitchen I did I was cutting end panels whilst the painters were starting on the walls and ceilings and no one got the raving hump.

6. russ295

russ295 New Member

the ts55 is a must, it will give a finished cut as long as your blade is sharp, coupled with the hoover it is nearly dust free. the festool is just an over priced hoover as you say but the power take off is great and the ability to stack your saw box on it is worth the extra money.

i have the midi and its just the right size.

the router is the best router i have ever had, (dewalt, makita) i prefer the handle style on the festool and it has never struggled with worktops (laminate or wood) you still have a lot of dust when cutting tops when connected to the hoover but i recon its about halfed, but it sure fills the bags up quick!

7. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

Thanks for the replies, it sort of has and hasn't helped!

the router is the best router i have ever had, (dewalt, makita) i prefer the handle style on the festool and it has never struggled with worktops (laminate or wood) you still have a lot of dust when cutting tops when connected to the hoover but i recon its about halfed, but it sure fills the bags up quick!

This concerns me as it my router that causes the most dust. I was under the impression that the Festool dust extractor would extract neally 99% of the dust from the Festool router. 50% is absolutely pants and not worth bothering with. Is this everyone else's experience?

Has anyone ever been to a Festool demo day where you get a chance to really use the tools properly? I think I need to see them in action before I take the plunge.

(Apologies for the pun at the end, it was unintended!)

8. russ295

russ295 New Member

there is an attachment if your routering edge profiles but it cant be used when cutting tops, i have never used it but i think with it you may get better results, but 50% is about as good as you get with worktops.

9. parana

parana New Member

The TS55 is the jewel in Festools crown and does everything mentioned, you will not regret it. As for anything else Festool? I personally would not touch it, seriously overpriced, £400 for a hoover! I have been using a wickes wet and dry vac with no problems and only costs £40, ok so I have to lean over and press a switch, I can live with that. As for routers, never had a problem with the big Makita. Dust will always be an issue and where possible cut outside.

10. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

The TS55 is the jewel in Festools crown and does everything mentioned, you will not regret it. As for anything else Festool? I personally would not touch it, seriously overpriced, £400 for a hoover! I have been using a wickes wet and dry vac with no problems and only costs £40, ok so I have to lean over and press a switch, I can live with that. As for routers, never had a problem with the big Makita. Dust will always be an issue and where possible cut outside.

That sounds like really good advice. I have been looking at the OF2200 today and it felt top heavy. Although it has quite a large footprint because of it's size it feels less stable than my DW625.

I also spoke to Festool and they confirmed that the dust extraction on the 1400w router isn' that good, 60% at the very best with a worktop jig. That's pants for the money.

I agree about the hoover being way overpriced, my Wickes wet and dry is in daily use for all sorts of **** and is still going strong 6 years on. They were on offer in Wickes the other week for £35.00

So I'm going to refit the dust extraction attachment to my Dewalt and probably spend £50.00 on a new hoover when this one dies.

The tool shop I have visited have offered to arrange for Festool rep to come to site with all the toys for me to have a go with them. They know I am a one man band so there's not much in it which leaves me thinking they're having it away with us.

I will go for the TS55 and that will probably be it. They (Festool) wanted £1000 plus VAT for a router and a hoover. Do I have cu*t written on my forehead?

11. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Well it reads TNUC from where I'm standing, try looking in a mirror! ;)

12. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

Well it reads TNUC from where I'm standing, try looking in a mirror! ;)

I'm more and more convinced that it does! I had another unrelated experience yesterday that would add weight to the theory.

I have also taken the chance to replace my trusty Wickes extractor as they are still on offer at £38.00 and will be attaching it to my 625 soon. I am going to run a test in the garage and report back with the results.

13. Legend

Legend New Member

The TS55 is amazing will save you plenty of time and time is money. You will make back the money spent on this tool in no time and left wondering how you coped without it. I have the Midi extractor and in my opinion out performs any other hoover i have tried in the past. Dont own a Fessy router yet although my friend does and cant stop banging on about it. And I trust he's opinion.

14. wraggster

wraggster New Member

The festool 55 is the dogs ballcocks - use it for all jobs including rebating , or cutting a mm of a door or worktops - rarely get planer out or even router sometimes it cuts letterboxes and sink cut outs with ease finish both with jigsaw or handsaw- get 2 guides and cut one down to 2/3 size you then have 3 different sized rails for different jobs . Also purchase the karcher hoover with power take off - plug in a 4 way adapter and you can run a few tools off it at once - think its the A2534 and screwfix also sell the bags at a reasonable price too

15. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I will just get the TS55 as advised. I did attach my trusty Wickes hoover to my Dewalt over the weekend. I didn't use my worktop jig but did clean up the edge on a couple of worktops and was impressed with how it reduced the dust. I inspected the bag afterwards and it had collected a lot of the finer dust which is what ****** me and my customers off. I'm guessing it will be significantly improved when I use my jig as the dust can't really go anywhere apart from up until the final cut through.

16. gavin-t

gavin-t New Member

Biasginc - how do you get on with your festool jigsaw?

I have had one for a few years and i cant get on with it at all! It struggles with tight curves and whatever blade/setting it tries to bounce! Im back to a £100 makita jigsaw and its loads better!

On the ts55, i love mine! I can trim door bottoms, hoover hooked up, without a dust sheet and have nothing to clean up after. The guide rails are a must though, i have 1x800 and 2x1400 and i really could do with the 1080 one too but they are £££££.

Gavin.

17. parana

parana New Member

speaking for the makita the main problem with extraction and jig work is the guide bush. the extraction is above the bush while all the cutting is below with only 4 small holes in the bush. the fine dust is taken away and the chips go everywhere. Did a solid 3m 40mm beech worktop over week end, Belfast, drainer and bolt holes, at 60kg had no choice but to do inside, what a mess.

P

18. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

Biasginc - how do you get on with your festool jigsaw?

I love it but it does struggle with tight curves but I think that is the price you pay for having the blade held so securely and close to the footplate. Mine doesn't seem to bounce. If I need to cut something like oak worktop to scribe to a wall, I like the fact that it will do an almost perfect 90 degree cut provided it is set up right.

19. Jolly Joiner

Jolly Joiner New Member

I'm with the others on the TS55 - brilliant piece of kit. Use mine to trim doors a lot and rarely have to get a planer out for that (except for doors with vision panels), although you do need to have a couple of blades to go with it and you need to keep an eye on the state of the anti-splinter strips on the guide rails. I've used mine a lot for MDF boxing where the dust is otherwise a killer and the lack of any need to clean-up the cuts makes for a faster job. Tried the OF1400 but frankly I stuck with my old DW625 which was much more powerful if noisier and a bit (not a lot) more dusty. My alternative on the jigsaw front is the Bosch 135 which also has a second blade clamp so with a sharp blade it will cut nice and straight. The other bit of kit Festool do which is worth looking at is the EHL65 planer which runs rings around almost everything else on the market