Picking up existing supply to wall lights?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by fred812, May 13, 2021.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

I had some wall lights installed in a downstairs room and connected to a two gang light switch, the other gang being for the main light. SHMBO wants two more wall lights on the opposite wall but on the same switch. The wiring to the existing lights goes down the wall, I'm fairly sure that I will be able to locate the cables under the floor of the upstairs room (haven't looked yet though), but don't think I will be able to run a new cable down the wall to one of the existing fittings or the switch to pick up a supply.
    What am I allowed to do to pick up a supply? Can I cut the existing wire and join in a couple of new feeds somehow, if so how? I don't think a junction box is allowed if its going to be under the floor?
    Thanks for any help.

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

J803/J804 junction boxes are Maintenance Free so can be concealed. They have four ways on each of the L, N, E & SL connections

3. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

You could use wago in a suitable container and tap into the feed going to the other light and run a cable to the new lights...

4. FlyByNight

Exactly as I said ...

5. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

6. FlyByNight

7. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Will they be ok at 20amp or 32amp? This is going to service a wall light will a 4 watt led bulb.
    Thanks.

8. spirits are real 2016

Many idea's make LIGHT work..

9. spirits are real 2016

All lighting should be on a 6 amp mcb with rcd protection so even if the wago connectors are rated higher they will still only get 6 amps max going through them..

10. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

I'm thinking of getting the Hager maintenance free connectors as FlyByNight suggested, but never used them before. Will they join four 1.5 mm2 cables or even a mix with 1 mm2 cables?

11. FlyByNight

Yes.

There are 4 x Live, 4 x Neutral, 4 x Earth & 4 x SwLive (J804) with each capable of holding 0.5 - 4.0 mm

12. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Sorry I meant will each joint handle four wires?

13. FlyByNight

Yes, the Live block has four individual clamp terminals - so you insert wire one into each, similarly the neutral and earth. So, you will have incoming , original light, new light1 and new light2.

[​IMG]
    You can see, 8 holes in pairs, on the other side are 8 more. The first pair on each side make 4, the second pair make another 4 ...

14. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Ok got it, thanks for staying with me!

15. FlyByNight

Just cleanly strip each conductor to the correct length, sleeve the earth, and insert, clamp the T&E, screw junction box to joist and then screw shut. for 1/1.5mm it is easier to push down on the top button to make insertion easier.