Pillar tap head removal

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by GreenHighlander, Oct 21, 2018.

1. GreenHighlander

GreenHighlander New Member

Would appreciate some guidance. I have an old brass pillar tap that is leaking and (I'm guessing) needs a new washer. First I need to remove the tap handle but there is no obvious way of removing it. There is no screw on the side and the ceramic cap seems to be permanently secured I don't want to try to prise it off and risk breaking it and then find there is no screw underneath. See photo.

Could the handle just be welded on? Any ideas on how to remove it? Thanks IMG_2801.jpg

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Pretty sure the indice pops out to reveal a screw. New indice are avaiable.

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Why do you need to remove the head to change the washer, just unscrew it out the body via the bigger nut, opening the tap first after isolating the water of course.

Heat likes this.
  4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Memo to myself; Read post twice before replying!

Heat likes this.
  5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Yes, as the above guys have noticed, that is not a reproduction of old taps with fake shroud, - it is in fact the proper old type tap and the lower nut is in fact part of the entire works and you just turn that anti-clockwise to get at tap washer.
    Note you need to check the seating with a torch to see if it is in good condition or requires a reseating tool used

just pumps likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I know that's an old tap but it doesn't seem like it's been there for long and judging by how much PTFE is hanging out of the gland nut there's been another problem recently.

7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I think it is a fairly modern tap, but basically identical to the old taps of yesteryear.
    The packing has been passing water when tap being used and somebody has made a mess of adding ptfe

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That looks like an old tap to me.

9. GreenHighlander

GreenHighlander New Member

Thanks for all your thoughts. This is an old tap bought online and installed on a new worktop recently. The leak is at the spout not the gland nut which as you say has been packed with PTFE. I've tried turning the larger hex nut but it's firmly seized. I've bought ABD's Tap EasySplitter but to use that I need to remove the tap handle, hence my question

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Have you tried unscrewing the indice? A fresh latex glove might help you get the purchase you need.

11. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

That tap spout and nut are close enough together to get a spanner on the nut and use it and the spout in a scissor-like action, squeezing together to undo the nut.

Heat likes this.
  12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

As above ^^
    The tap handle does not need removed!
    Just hold the spout and slacken the bottom nut shape on the works.

13. The toddmiester

The toddmiester New Member

I know this is quite an old post but did you ever find out how to remove the tap head? I'm in the exact same situation and wish to use the tapsplitter but, like you said, it can't be used with the tap head still on. Cheers

14. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    I suggest you start a new thread with a picture ? peter