Pine kitchen units

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Takkem, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Takkem

Takkem New Member

My wife has decided she wants the kitchen updating but rather than buy a new set of units she has decided that she likes the original pine doors. However, with the new layout she wants I am going to have to make some new units as we cannot match the old doors. They are of fairly simple construction and should not be too hard to duplicate.

My query is what sort of pine should I use? I don't want to buy a load of timber, assemble the units and then find that they start warping because the timber is not properly seasoned. Should I go for reclaimed pine or is it reasonably easy to get hold of fully seasoned pine from a decent timber yard?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Regards,
    Takkem

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo and welcome Takkem :D:D:D

you are taslking a masive and expensive task here requiring

a router several clamps a jigsaw a chopsaw a table saw or circular saw several hundred buscuits or dowels timber boards made from several 2" bits glued side by side and end to end
    or you can laminate your own boards from 3to5" wide lengths glued into boards alternating growth rings

alternatives are ply with all face edges fronted with pine

big all

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You could use pine furniture board, if you can't get the right widths at most it would only be 1 join per door.

4. dunc

dunc New Member

It will depend on your overall design. But if a door is about 500mm wide then you can use 100 mm stiles and that leaves about 300mm for the panel. you can make this out of one join.

It would mean a lot of work to make the doors out of solid timber. For raised panels it would mean getting a router table and so on.

Also if the design allowed it you could make solid timber face frames and hang your doors on those, going back to nice cabinet hinges.

It could look very nice, but exceedingly woody!

5. Guest

Go to a good timberyard they will advice you what timber you need for the job.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

^ what a useless bit of advice.

7. Piratejoiner

Piratejoiner New Member

^

Almost as bad as the "furniture board" ...that would look good wouldn't it!!

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's what the OP is asking for!

9. Guest

244 didnt take you long to get back to your usual self

10. Guest

you dont have a clue 244 everybody sussed that long ago.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Eh it doesn't seem that long since you were the newby asking loads of stupid questions and generally making a fool of yourself :)

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Look how far you've come :^O

13. Guest

244 you just look up wiki for all your answers you should change your name to the wikiman

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

OK, so I know nothing but I also get all my answers from Wiki. I think you're being a little inconsistant, for a change :)

15. Guest

yea you now nothing so you get your answers from wiki got it or is it to difficult for you.

16. Guest

i will give you this you are great at doing a search.

17. Guest

anyway the real chippys on this forum pity you and just tolerate you

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You wouldn't know a real chippie if he kicked you up the **** and if you were a tradesman, which you're not, they would. Now trot off little boy.

19. Guest

you must have a sore ***

20. Guest

on yer bike plastic chippy