pine shelving - need to find a supplier

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Porkie, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Porkie

Porkie New Member

Am located in Cardiff and I need to find a supplier of pine laminated boards to make shelving. Any ideas apart from the big sheds?

cheers

2. Not sure what you mean bt "pine laminated" boards.

Do you mean chipboard/mdf that is veneered with pine or do you mean solid pine bonded edge to edge to make up a given width?

If it's the latter then find your local joiner's shop or timber merchant and they will make them up for you. they may also be able to source vennered board.

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

fairly shure he means this stuff"TIMBERBOARD" in case the link dosn't work
    http://www.wickes.co.uk/Building-Materials/Melamine-Faced-Chipboard-PanelsTimberboard/icat/melchiptimboard

i personaly just glue a mixture off boards between 2x1" and 6x1" planed glued and doweld/ biscuited together to give whatever size i require

of its a captive board like in a bookshelve then i will go up to 9x1"par as any movement is held tight by surrounding timbers
    in general alternating 4 or 5" timbers with growth rings up and down is the best compromise between stability and time taken to do the job

just keep in mind the inch size is the preworked size and the finnished size of planed timber from a timber merchant is
    2x1" 44x21mm

3x1 69mm

4x1 95mm

5x1 119mm

6x1 145mm

7x1 169mm

8x1 195mm

9x1 220

please note timber from the sheds will be thinner at 18 to 19mm thick over 21 to 22mm from the timber yard

big all