Pinholes in Limestone Tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by screwfox, Jun 2, 2005.

1. screwfox

screwfox New Member

After laying a new limestone floor in the kitchen I've noticed three of the tiles have developed pin holes, one or two per tile, I'm sure they weren't there when I laid the tiles.
    1) What causes them?
    2) Will the holes get bigger?
    3) What can I do?

Ta

2. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Ans (3) - put pins in them...

3. Probably just small imperfections in the stone surface, or lime content in the stone.

Are you sure it's Limestone and not honed and filled travertine?

It all comes down to slection for production at the factory.

Send me a picture off group if you want further advice.

http://www.atstone.co.uk

you can contact me through my website.

4. screwfox

screwfox New Member

Mudster,

It could be honed and filled travertine, how can I tell the difference? Some tiles have very nice figuring on them (swirles and suchlike) still, any advice on what to do? One tile has now developed about 5 of these tiny holes, when I put my UFH on will it get worse?

ta

5. Can you take a photo and send it to me?

I'll be able to tell you what it is.

Travertine is cheaper than limestone, and the quality of the travertine you buy is reflected on how well it's filled and honed. If it has started to pinhole, it's likely that it will continue to do so, it's why I don't sell it.

Go back to where you bought and explain the problem, it shouldn't be doing it. And don't be put of by the "It's a natural material" blurb.