Pins in skirting board

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DIY novice 2021, Apr 15, 2021.

1. DIY novice 2021

DIY novice 2021 New Member

A handyman put skirting boards up for me. He has used some kind of adhesive but also nailed them to the wall with a pin type head (ie. no screwdriver markings), but he hasn’t depressed them beneath the skirting board so I can’t fill over them with poly fills. I bought a pin punch and then another pin punch, but have been unable to depress them sufficiently to fill over them.

I don’t know if it’s just a question of me not being strong enough (female with weak wrist), as an alternative is there a drillbit I could use to depress them beneath the skirting sufficiently to enable me to fill.

Apologies in advance as I’m a complete novice so I’m sure some of the terminology above is wrong!

thank you

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Use a decent size hammer with a bit of weight behind it.........not a pin hammer. ;)

4. DIY novice 2021

Thanks I bought a parallel pin punch set from Amazon and was using with a normal hammer. I can see the set recommend above is concave rather than flat so hopefully that will do the trick! Fingers crossed thanks

5. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

as Astra said, it's the hammer that does the work, so strength not needed.

6. DIY novice 2021

This was one of the culprits. I bought a new set of pin punches but it still didn’t work so I have removed the boards and am going to attach with foam instead!

Attached Files:

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Prob nails too long and hitting brickwork.

8. Are you sure the pins weren't put in 'temporarily' while the adhesive has gone off? If there is enough of the head of the pins showing, just test one length by removing the pins with a claw hammer or nail puller. After a day or so, and if there is no movement, fill the nail holes.
    Don't use decorators caulk. Use a good quality powder mix filler, that can be sanded, and tales paint very well.