Pipe Boxing - Corner

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by john@johnbradbury.com, Mar 12, 2013.

1. I have been decorating a new house which has copper heating pipes running down the walls in almost every room. I had intended to box these in so decorated around them. However I am now struggling to  find a suitable product to do it.

This is what I had hoped to use but I don't know what it's called and can't find it anywhere.

[​IMG]

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

google Talon - pipe concealment

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

can't be a new house, copper pipes running down every room is very council house, If they're clipped you wont get talon pipe trunking on, you'll need to box them in, or get a plumber in to unclip them and respace them so pipe trunking will fit,

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

why would having pipes clipped prevent the fitment of a typical pipe concealment product ?

[​IMG]

5. No, it's not a new build. We have just bought it, just meant our new home.

Here are the pipes:

[​IMG]

and some electrical wires:

[​IMG]

I have wallpapered upto the pipes with the intention of using one of those corner boxes shown but like I said I can't find any.

Sean thanks for the heads up, will take a look.

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you're right, you could fit those pipe covers, but they'd look cumbersome and not very pleasing to the eye, 15mm pipes need 15mm trunking, but hey you'd know that,

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

the pictures I posted show the method of fixing, illustrating how it can be fitted around existing clipped pipework or cabling

I'm sure the OP will be able to correctly size whatever he opts to eventually purchase and as he has already (in post 1) indicated the type of concealment he requires perhaps it's his opinion that really matters as to what will be cumbersome or eye pleasing

8. Bluenose2

Bluenose2 New Member

Goin` a bit deep there Sean, op wants to cover them, so, good ol `2x1/2x2 bit of ply, job done. P.S. I would love to be there when tom was fitting his 15mm trunking. ;)

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

And a couple of spring clips strategically placed on the inside of the ply, clip the whole thing straight to the pipes. Cover it in wallpaper (or whatever finish is there) before fitting it, almost unnoticable.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

the OP knows what he wants, just didnt know what it was

''This is what I had hoped to use but I don't know what it's called and can't find it anywhere.''

I suspect he might have been able to find plywood and spring clips on his own

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The idea may not have crossed his mind.

Don't be so negative and close-minded.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

do you really think the caveman approach of plywood and clips hasn't crossed his mind, and been dismissed when he has already apparently decided (and posted a picture) of a much neater solution

13. Bluenose2

Bluenose2 New Member

Are you seriously suggesting a hunk of plastic going up the wall is a neater solution than a  boxed/decorated one Sean.

14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it's the OPs opinion that matters, it's his project - he knows what he wanted, just didnt know where to look to find it

15. Bluenose2

Bluenose2 New Member

"he knows what he wanted" Frankly Sean, I think handys comment was spot on, "it never crossed his mind" Why would anyone pay for expensive ugly plastic, when the "caveman approach" looks better and is less expensive and quicker.;)

16. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you know the working of his inner mind better than him then - he's only confirmed twice that he actually wants the plastic

''I have wallpapered upto the pipes with the intention of using one of those corner boxes shown but like I said I can't find any'' ''This is what I had hoped to use but I don't know what it's called and can't find it anywhere.''[/i]

maybe he doesnt want to be buying/cutting/fixing/priming/painting timber to box it in - maybe he likes the speed of installation of the plastic

17. Bluenose2

Bluenose2 New Member

No sean, I have  not delved into his "inner mind",  the suggestion was he hadn`t considered the "caveman approach" I base this on his struggle to find what he was looking for, which suggests a lack of basic building knowledge. P.S. Why would he spend time priming/painting something he was going to wallpaper. Anyhoo, you didn`t tell us your prefrences, neatly boxed in papered/painted...OR...ugly chunks of plastic climbing your walls. ;)

18. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I'd strip it all out and hide it in voids or partitions, so none of the above

19. Bluenose2

Bluenose2 New Member

That would be another way, but the op wanted it boxed in...so, choose one. (be honest) :)

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Wow Sean you are a little bit touchy arent you. Anyone would think that perhaps your gaff is full of plastic pipe covers and you are trying to convince yourself how attractive they are.

Anyway, what exactly is caveman about using boxing in rather than using that plastic garbage. A little careful thought can conceal them attractively and discretly. If you work in older houses like I do then often voids and partitions dont exist. You have to find a way round and thats where a good chippie comes in to make plumbers and sparks chaos disappear. If doing neat and tidy work with some ply or MDF to make a problem disappear rather than strapping a  god awful piece of guttering to the wall is caveman then it a "YABBA DABBA DOO" from me.