Pipe leaking?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ben100, Oct 19, 2021.

1. ben100

ben100 Member

I’ve got this leak on a pipe any help on how to sort it? The water that is spraying out of it is hot & the pipe is just underneath the boiler if that’s any help? Can I wrap some PTFE tape or any tape that can be recommended on it in the meantime just to stop the water spraying out?
    116FD82B-2FAC-417C-955D-A870E3BA02AD.jpeg

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

I’d get the boiler turned off and drained down ready for that section of pipe to be replaced - looks in poor condition. What type of boiler is it? Vented (with tanks in the loft) or sealed (pressure gauge on boiler)?

3. ben100

ben100 Member

It’s a combi sealed

4. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Ok. If it’s hot it’s probably the heating flow or return pipe so you’ll need to locate and put a hose on the drain tap (usually on a rad valve) and empty the system to stop water leaking out.

Could you upload a picture showing the bottom of the boiler with the pipework under?

5. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

That pipe and joint are in a very poor condition and needs replacing by a plumber if not able to do it yourself. Plus get him/her to have a look around for any others in a similar state before you get more leaks.

6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    just turn off the main cold supply if it stops the leak, you can locate the cold mains to the boiler and isolate the boiler
    no drain required then

good luck
    peter