pipe sizes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Big Jumbo, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Big Jumbo

Big Jumbo New Member

Hi there,

I have an old length of copper pipe which is about 16mm as against the standard 15mm (it could be 5/8) Any ideas as to what this size was used for?

2. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

You sure it's not the old 1/2"?

3. Bill the Scot

Bill the Scot New Member

1/2", 1" & 2" did not really change 3/4", 11/4" & 11/2" did, could be old 3/4".

4. Matt Beard

Matt Beard Member

It does appear to be 5/8th inch.

5/8 = 0.625

16mm = 0.63 inches

It's annoying stuff - my static caravan is full of the stuff and I spent about half an hour trying to figure out why a new push-fit fitting didn't fit it, then I held it against a standard bit of 15mm! Luckily Speedfit works fine.

5. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

It would be the old 1/2 copper. 15mm end feed need a little tap to get on comfortably. After that you can carry on as normal.

6. imran_

imran_ New Member

Or thick wall copper used around the war (imported). As said, tap the nut on, file a bit if necessary. Push-fit and solder a no-no

7. rome60

rome60 New Member

If a 15mm fitting fits but is really tight it is probably BSP Table 1,30 + years old or as said could be imported they do have 16mm pipe.Also it could be refridgeration pipe their pipes are OD sizes.

8. plumber carl

plumber carl New Member

its very likely to be refrigeration pipe Ive use it when on my refrigerant course ,,, it tends to be slightly thicker and softer so it can be rolled down to a smaller size and its sealed both ends to keep out contaminates check the side of the tube for its BS rating,,,, old screw copper was 5\8 and would weigh the same as 4 lengths of 15mm

9. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

It's annoying stuff - my static caravan is full of the stuff............Hmmmmmmmmm Pikey!!

It must be a very old caravan not having standard 15mm anything?? Frankly, I don't see a problem with using JG Speedfit if it fits okay.

10. bentbolt

bentbolt New Member

Do you know if it has ever been frozen ? this can have expanded the pipe a bit but not actually burst it.I have come across it a few times especially on static caravan sites as these seem to be more prone to freezing. usually by cutting back a bit you can find pipe that hasn't expanded.
    pete

11. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

It is probably French pipe.

12. andys342

andys342 Member

is it what they call 17th gauge that was thick cooper

13. imran_

imran_ New Member

If it's like I think, you won't get a push fit on. I know this when cutting a live pipe and thinking I could quickly qhack a stop end on :(

I think the pikeys have been teaching songs to my son - he came home the otherr day singing "The wheels on the house go round and round..."