PIR challenge...

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Clark Kent, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

If a Landlord orders a PIR and in that report, it lists several Code 1's for example..

The Landlord in question gives this report to the managing letting agency, who then check their legal position on such a report (get my drift, and I don't know the outcome here yet).

The Landlord calls me and ask about the report findings of which I disagree (based upon the Best practice guide) with several of..

So if I thought some of the code 1's were in fact code 4's (as the regs are not retrospective)................

And If I went in and did what I thought needed doing and marking/observing any other non essential issues (code 4's).........

OK?

Does the Landlord/letting agency now have a satisfactory installation or not?

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I have always gone on wether the electrics are actually dangerous or not.

Why not give some examples?

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

I have always gone on wether the electrics are
    actually dangerous or not.

Why not give some examples?

Main bonding.........1

Lighting IR...........1 (0.68 M ohms)

Unsuitable bathroom light...1

No RCD protection............1

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

And meter tails inadequate.........1

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

TBH I don't really understand what your saying here but I would not be happy to let the lights and the low ir reading go. Deffo 2 problems that need sorting.

6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

TBH I don't really understand what your saying here

OK, we'll leave it at that then..

7. elmoD

elmoD New Member

So the lanlord has questioned your code 1's, and your willing to change them to code 4's??????

Thats just not smart matey, your ballsack on the line then....

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

> TBH I don't really understand what your saying

Finally Cooly comes clean! :^O

;)

9. Martynp

Martynp New Member

As you know any code 1's mean the installation is Unsatifactory and i guess your customer (or letting agency)wont be happy as they want to see Satisfactory on the PIR, changing them to code 4 is you decision but the items you mentioned are all major issues and need urgent attention.

If they disagree which is there right to, you should NOT change to code 4's

10. pcelectrics

pcelectrics New Member

Elmo, my interpretation is that ext has been asked for a second opinion.

I think we need more details Ext. How 'inadequate' are the tails compared to the loading?

No RCD sounds like it maybe has an old 3036 board? No RCDs on their own would surely be a 2 on the sockets (going by the BPG)? If the house is being rented out the Landlord would be well advised to have a new board. He has a duty of care to the tenants, which a 17th board with everything on RCDs will satisfy.

If you can get them to have the lights rewired, then good on yer - but I suspect that'd be an uphill struggle. So at least RCDing the lights (by way of a 17th board) will provide additional protection and the IR can go as a 3 on your PIR. You might be able to get them to let you spend a couple of hours looking to see if the IR issue is caused by a fault rather than general deterioration?

Bonding - defo needs doing, but it's a 2 according to the BPG.

Bathroom light - a 4 if the circuit's on RCD (unless it's damaged).

11. ipcelect

ipcelect New Member

Or... are we getting the wrong end of the stick here? Did you or did you not do the original PIR?

My guess is that you didn't but you have been called up for a 2nd opinion.

Letting agent has no responsibility at all, it is their decision to whether they handle property with or without safety certs. Some agents don't ask for electrical certs . It is the landlords responsibility to keep the place safe, especially after being informed it isn't.

You can object to other peoples codings, and you can retest and issue a new cert with your interpretations of the coding s on it. That is fine, but be careful on your interpretations as the ones you have said (apart from RCD, as it might be a 3rd floor flat) would in my mind need attention.

Recent codings I have challenged are the current main chancer, code 1 for no rcd to the 17th then in brackets we recommend a new fuse box! and a code 2 for a phone socket hanging of the wall!

Put in a quote for the remedials, as I say they look as if they need doing.

12. elmoD

elmoD New Member

bit hard to interpret what mr ext means.....

Main bond is a 2??

Thats something i have always done wong then. always classed it as a 1.... oops

13. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

So the landlord has questioned your code 1's, and your
    willing to change them to code 4's??????

Thats just not smart matey, your ballsack on the line
    then....

Ermmmmmmmmmmmmm..................:O

DID YOU READ THE OPENING STATEMENT?

:O:O

READ IT AGAIN...............

14. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

bit hard to interpret what mr ext means.....

Main bond is a 2??

Thats something i have always done wong then. always
    classed it as a 1.... oops

AND WHY IS THAT?

Life threatening is it?

Danger of electrocution?

Think again..............

15. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Or... are we getting the wrong end of the stick here?
    Did you or did you not do the original PIR?

My guess is that you didn't but you have been called
    up for a 2nd opinion.

And you win first prize..

16. elmoD

elmoD New Member

If a Landlord orders a PIR and in that report, it lists several Code 1's for example..

doesnt really explain all that much im afraid....

And I did just hold my hands up as I have obviously mis-interpreted something, which is obviously an extremely rare thing with our regulations being so clear and concise....oh wait.....

=)

17. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

If a Landlord orders a PIR and in that report, it
    lists several Code 1's for example..

doesnt really explain all that much im afraid....

What does it explain is over zealous (reporting) and greedy sparks trying to rip people off...