PIR flood lights - operate independently and linked together

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by drpmwilson, Oct 9, 2018.

1. drpmwilson

drpmwilson New Member

HI All.

I have 4 led floodlights around my house for security - all timeguard 30W LED with PIR.

I currently have a timeguard 30W PIR on one corner of the back of my house by the back door and i'm about to add a second identical unit to the other corner by our patio so both lights illuminate the entire back of the house, converging in the middle.

These particular lights have L1 outputs for setting up additional lights as slaves when the unit is triggered and activated - very straightforward but not what i'm after. I would like to ask is if this is possible:

Can they be set up so that if either unit detects motion (one or the other), both lights come on? For example if the PIR unit by the back door detects motion and illuminates (but the patio one hasn't detected motion) can they be wired in such a way that the patio one will illuminate anyhow without its PIR as yet being triggered. Similarly id like the same to be true for the when the patio PIR is triggered - it also switches on the one by the back door. My spark has wired all existing lights for standalone operation and isn't sure if this is possible.

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Yes it's possible.
    You will need a 4 core between the 2 units. L, N, E and switched live.
    Will sort a diagram now for you.
    Rs

3. retiredsparks

4. drpmwilson

drpmwilson New Member

Thanks for the reply. Will this definitely work with flood lights with their own in-built PIRs thought? the one pictured is what i have. i just don't understand how the diagram above can bypass the units own on-board PIR.

Attached Files:

5. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Member

You need to be aware when you link them together the starting load may increase beyond their switching capacity

6. retiredsparks

Agreed, but LED loading is now lots less than the old Halogen... We give general advice but cannot second guess what the Op will be doing eventually ...or his "spark" who cant work out how to do it......:rolleyes:
    RS

7. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Yes. The switched live in the above diagram connects to the L1 on your combo light units.
    Imagine that the "additional PIR" box has a lamp attached to it.
    Simples!

8. drpmwilson

drpmwilson New Member

Thanks.

No need to second guess, or guess anything at all. The plan has a clear goal - link two PIR floods so they can both operate independently and cooperatively, i have no plans to change the setup beyond that. For added context, i believe the spark in question was merely being economical with his time on the phone with me.

9. retiredsparks

Good job we are here to help then.
    :)
    Rs

10. drpmwilson

drpmwilson New Member

as suggested, i think the easiest thing for me to do here is simply connect the new light to the existing with 4 core, using the 4th core to connect the L1s. my confusion arose from my misunderstanding that the L1 wouldn't work in both directions and is on the load side of the PIR and could illuminate the lamp regardless of the PIR status - it took me to dismantle the above diagram, have a good think about it and then figure out just how simple it actually is. the diagram is if they are wired independently then connect the L1s but i'll go the 4 core route instead. Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 10.51.24.png

11. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Yes 4-wire is your solution. In any case, you can't have a single live conductor floating around on its own.

12. spinlondon

spinlondon Well-Known Member

The OP says there is already a terminal for switching on slave lights.