PIR with Holes in it

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Grant Lithgow, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Grant Lithgow

Grant Lithgow Member

Architect specified PIR in the loft between the joists.

A lot of the PIR loft insulation had to be removed at either side of the house to do some remedial repairs to the roof trusses. When it has went back in it has not went back very well and there is massive holes in bits due to wood being added to strengthen roof.

I can not really face repairing it as it took me ages to install it

Will I be OK stuffing holes with glass wool and putting glass wool over the holes. Will I need to put glass wool the whole of the loft or just where the holes are?

Thanks

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

What was the remedial work? If builder's fault then it's on him to make good the insulation, even if as I read it, you installed it.

If they have to buy more pir then so be it, but don't accept a bodge which will cause more heat loss than the architect's spec

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. Grant Lithgow

Grant Lithgow Member

Hi Builder has gone bust and it is a long story to go into. So I just need to fix it so i was just going to fill the holes with wool and then put 300mm of wool over the top of it.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Expanding foam it all up.

5. Grant Lithgow

Grant Lithgow Member

Some of the holes are quite large and now thus i was going to use wool. Do you not think that would work?

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It depends on the size of the holes but I wouldn't mix the two, I'd cut new pieces in and foam up any gaps.

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Agree with Jord. I'd buy a sheet of 50mm and double it up unless you need enough to warrant a sheet of 100mm.

Also worth keeping an eye on local jobs: often a few bits left over.

Not usual to have pir in a ceiling like this. Much dearer and more expensive to fit.