Pitched roof combined with a flat roof top

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by davis davis, Oct 7, 2010.

1. davis davis

davis davis New Member

Hi

Im in the process of designing my extension, currently i have a rectanglular house with a pitched roof with the ridge running front to back.

Now im looking to install build a two story extension directly to the right of the house.

Now if i was simply going out from a point, ie at right angles to the ridge i could come stright out, the problem occurs that i am going the full lenght of the existing property.

Therefore i was wondering if any one knew it you could have a pitched roof with a flat top. I suppose its on the same basis as a dorma except it has pitched sides.

Any help would be great!

Scott

2. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

Why would you want to put a flat roof on it?

What's wrong with two new hips running from the corners of your new extension and a new ridge meeting the old one at the centre?

3. saddle joint

saddle joint New Member

I think what you mean is a gambrel roof.

It would be, in my view, virtually impossible to place a flat roof on a pitched roof in the way you describe. The reason being that water would penetrate on the verges where the pitch met the flat roof.

A gambrel roof is a roof that has a pitch beginning at a steepish pitch perhaps 45' and then about 2/3rds up it becomes a shallower pitch say 20'.

The advantage of this type of roof is that it gives a lower profile where height may be a problem from a planning point of view. It also gives a very good usable area in a roof for conversion into living space.

I hope this is of some use.