Pitched roof done right ?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Zakaria, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Zakaria

Zakaria New Member

hi everyone, so our builder got someone to do the roof and so far this is what he has done. Im just wondering if it has been done in line with building regulations as the rafters usually should be on the blockwork but on ours it has been placed on the brickwork. Also we are having 2 velux windows in and on the side that he has completed, he has made no opening for it? When we asked the man about making the frame for the veluxs he said someone else will do it after he puts on the roof tiles. Is that possible, as he has not even placed double rafters where the veluxs would go. IMG_5845.PNG 2AEDF6A4-A594-451E-B95F-AC2DFFB63B00.JPG

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Damn, when did we start putting the wallplate on the external skin I think I missed that memo :rolleyes:

stuart44 likes this.
  3. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Post a pic of how the rafters are fixed against the wall of the house please. Given what you have shown us I am worried

Please contact your builder now

1. the wall plate should be on the inner leaf

2.velux windows go on before tiling

also what is the roof pitch and what tiles are going on. That looks very shallow

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

I wouldn’t worry, there surely isn’t a BCO that’s going to be happy with that

5. jonathanc

Rafters held to the house wall by 2 screws presumably each side. Not secured to wall plate either abs wall plate not tied down…. Apart from being on wrong leaf.

That needs to come off and be started again

6. Zakaria

Zakaria New Member

D1658E6C-1B3D-4AA5-974C-1A76F04DB02E 3.jpg

7. Zakaria

Zakaria New Member

I don't know the pitch but the tiles the builder got are "Marley red major tiles" 420x330mm
    IMG_5848.PNG

8. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

If you mean Marley Ludlow Major, then the minimum pitch on d 22.5 degrees and I doubt that’s what you have :(

9. Zakaria

Zakaria New Member

is that to do with the position of the wall plate or the Gabel end

10. jonathanc

the pitch on your roof looks to be less than 22degrees so those tiles are not suitable.

Edit: by counting blocks I think your pitch is 15 degrees

given the basic errors here I would stop work and call building control out to meet with your builder and yourself

what you have here is a disaster…

stuart44 likes this.
  11. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Another issue is the single wall plate. My local BC has for several years insisted on a second plate with a horizontal section of ceiling joist to triangulate the rafter.

As others have said just about everything is wrong.

Do you have any approved drawings?

12. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Don't think thats an issue, sounds as if your BC is an odd ball