PIV units and air quality

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by MattJG, May 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MattJG

MattJG New Member

Tell me if this fits a better subforum.

A 3 week problem of a almighty stench of weed from my neighbours house wafting into our 1930s terraced house under the floorboards/through walls (which after a spiky conversation with nextdoor turned out due to them having all of their carpets up to be replaced- they've done it now thank god and it's.much better) has me thinking about air quality and improvements in that regard.

I've done some bodge job sealing where I can bit we do get some penetrations of cigarette and weed odor from time to time now. I will continue with some sealing but we will get things coming through due to the nature of the house construction.

Would a PIV unit improve matters at all? Their main selling point seems to be mould/condensation but increasing air pressure slightly and pushing air out would suggest to me it would be effective and removing lingering stale air and remove those odors as well.

The house itself is fully double glazed and has no mould/condensation problems. We have a ceiling mounted extractor in bathroom venting out to roof. This is purely about air quality and quality of life.

Cheers

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If you pressurize the house it will discourage any air being drawn into your house from next door. Fit one with a heat exchanger.

3. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    'We have a ceiling mounted extractor in bathroom venting out to roof'

when the fan is running and extracting air from the room,
    where is the air coming from to replace the air that's been extracted ? if the house is well sealed, you need to consider a fresh air supply point ?

its possible the odour is from the roof void . a dedicated vent to the outside maybe the way forward.

we all get wound up about 'draught' (actually means a movement of air) but you need a supply of fresh air in the house !

good luck
    peter

4. Creek

Creek Member

I installed a drymaster unit. Works very well and has eliminated my condensation problem. Very slight humming noise comes from it, if you are a light sleeper you might here it. (No one in our house complains about it but just be aware)
    Loft needs to be well ventilated as it draws air from the roof space directly into the house

5. MattJG

MattJG New Member

Hi, sorry for delay in reply forgot about my post!

Extractor fan vents straight outside through roof. In terms of air supply for extractor it is literally taking air from bathroom itself. I notice a distinct increase in smell when extractor is turned on as it pulls the odoured air out of the room (to some effect but doesn't solve the issue)

As extractor fan only activates when we turn the light on it doesn't help much.

I've been in loft space and there is no smell up there. It is coming from under the bath and floor. I've sealed what I can but due to bath position/size of bathroomgbathroom it out to seal more would be a big job only really if we wanted to renovate the room completely.

It's been better recently but after one stinky evening last night i will look to fit a piv as it will work activily to move air around and out. Hopefully stopping it's entry with the positive pressure. There is a certain draft in under the bath which I can't locate easily.

Any experience anyone has with a piv and impact on smells in general is welcome

6. Mjenk

Mjenk New Member

Hey how did the PIV suit the problem? We have similar issue.