Planer thickesser

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by busy builder, Aug 16, 2008.

1. busy builder

busy builder New Member

I'm after a new Planer thicknesser, something like a Metabo/Elecktra Beckum HC260.
    The SIP 10" x 6" seems similar, but not sure about the quality of finish. I can't afford Startrite and my budget is around £400-£450.

Any reommendations ? it won't be used every day, mainly to do jobs for my house, like oak door linings, facings & skirting etc. Also a nice oak fire surround so must be able to handle 8" x 2" lumps.

TIA

2. i hope this works

i hope this works New Member

I have the little 4X6 SIP planer thicknesser and the finish is fantastic. I had a problem with it and it was repaired under warrenty no problem. I only could afford a little one but I can't fault it. I wouldn't rule the bigger SIP one out.

The Record model has nice cast iron tables. I've looked at it and wish I could afford one!

3. mof

mof Member

I have had the electra bekuum planer you mentioned for ages and have used it for quite big timbers like staircase strings etc, I can recomend it, you can get away with sharpening the throw away blades as well if you are a bit tight like me.I have now got a 12" thickneser as well(Sedgwick mb)but still use the electra becuum as well, the finish from the electra becuum is just as good as from the big machine even though there are only 2 blades and the feed speed is quicker.