Planer thicknesser query.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ukwoody, Apr 26, 2006.

1. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Evening all. I'm about to set myself up a workshop. I'm puzzled though about modern heavy duty planer thicknessers. In the old days of Wadkin etc the planer table was fixed rigidly above the thicknesser and a switch flicked between the two modes.

However I notice that on many modern machines the top table lifts up allowing access to the lower table for thicknessing. Why?

What if any are the benifits? Are they any good? and is it a right royal pain to swap the two over.

I'm talikng about 3ph machines.

Woody

2. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

Really depends on your budget and the amount of use you are expecting.

In an ideal world two separate machines are much more useful if the budget can afford it if not like many of us you have a dual mode machine and again it all comes down to intended use type of timber and cost.

Axminster and Rutlands are as good a starting place as any for new machines. Rutlands do have reviews by customers on some of the products so even if you do not buy from them there is the possibility of some feedback

Shedmen

3. Mof

Mof Guest

That is one of the reasons I bought a 12" sedgwick to save removing the tables for thicknesing but you still have to change over the shavings hood, so all in all its not all that much bother. Dont worry.