Planning a Loft conversion, help??

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dalejones20, May 12, 2019.

  1. Dalejones20

    Dalejones20 New Member

    Ok so I have a 2 bed mid terraced 1930s house I have put the bathroom upstairs and put a small cloakroom under the stairs but to do this I lost a bedroom so was a 3 bed now a 2, the idea is to go up in the loft with a single room bedroom (no en,suite)

    My question is, as there is no dorma just 2 velux windows, do I need to put steels in or can I span some 8x2 timber from wall plate to wall plate and screw in to the side of the rafters. I would sit them on 4x1 timber on top of the wall plate to pick the timber off the ceiling an inch?

    Also I'm a qualified electrician and carpenter so will be doing all the work myself, will I need a building inspector / engineer out to assess what's the regs there?

    Also there are 2 perlin timbers that I will need to cut out and replace with a supporting timber wall

    Need as much info as I can as I'm new to loft conversions and want to get it right, also when I come to sell the house I want it to be classed as a 3 bedroom , thanks
  2. Jord86

    Jord86 Well-Known Member

    Your minimum finished head height will need to be 1900mm (solely in loft conversions, 2m everywhere else) if I recollect, if you don’t have this by the time you’ve worked out your floor depth via a structural engineer, then your knackered. Local council, building regs, RSJs for floor structure, double up rafters for Velux’, build dwarf walls first then remove purlins, or leave them in as a feature, collar ties at ridge level, celotex between rafters, tri-iso tacked outside of rafters, batten over top then plasterboard. Don’t forget tile/slate vents.
  3. sospan

    sospan Well-Known Member

  4. stevie22

    stevie22 Active Member

    Give serious consideration to dormer: you will get much more usable space for not a huge extra cost.

    You won't necessarily need steels: find yourself a good techncian who specialises in lofts.
  5. Dalejones20

    Dalejones20 New Member

    Will I need planning permission??
  6. stevie22

    stevie22 Active Member

    No. Up to 40 cubemetres for non detached property is PD.

    You need to make sure your PD rights are in place, but unless you're in a conservation area it's most likely to be.
  7. ajohn

    ajohn Well-Known Member

    Going on my brothers experience selling a house that had a loft conversion you will be very likely to need building regs. No problem when he bought the property some years ago. All sorts of things come into it. Velux being at a certain height for fire escape even fire doors which surprised me. Seems it's a little like electrics, certain work needs a full update.

    Going on some properties I have seen if you walked about in the loft some one in a room below may see the ceiling moving especially on older properties.

    If a span is supported with timbers you would be amazed by the difference between building regs and what can be used when structural calculations are used and suitable timber. I looked at re roofing a property using prefabricated room in the roof rafters etc. Makes me wonder if the same people who produce these could help do it with timber which may or may not work out cheaper than steel.

  8. Dalejones20

    Dalejones20 New Member

    Ok, so what’s the first step for me? How do I contact building control?
  9. ajohn

    ajohn Well-Known Member

    I can't help there as never done anything like you want to do. However you can phone your local council and ask to speak to a building inspector. They should be able to give you some idea what you need to do but their job in life is inspecting work as it's being done to make sure building regs are met. With thing like steel they would want to see structural calcs. The area I mentioned concerning timber is a bit different. May have changed but the building regs dictated sizes needed for a given span. These were a lot larger than the style of roofing support I mentioned as the company that produce them do calculations. Fitting those in that case would involve removing the entire roof structure. :) Didn't buy the property but decided to remember the difference in timber sizes. Building inspector reckoned that I might start a new fashion if I had done it. In this case I would have been increasing the pitch of the roof as well on a bungalow. That needs planning permission but they didn't see any problems with that.

  10. Astramax

    Astramax Well-Known Member

    Only if the dormer was at the front of the property, you will need to comply with Local Council Building Regulations and have a party wall agreement in place.

Share This Page