Planning and Building Regulations forum section

Discussion in 'Support' started by DOHarchitecture, Apr 8, 2020.

1. I’m curious as to whether members or the site would benefit from a “Planning and Building Regulations” forum section?

It does appear a few related threads end up in the “Builders” forum section and some also appear in other sections, therefore making it a little more difficult for those that can provide to actually provide the advice.

2. I didn’t think it was a good idea anyway :confused:

Jord86 likes this.
  3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I think it's a good idea - missed your original post.

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Well-Known Member

Doesn’t want to mix with the proletariat :(

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It would only benefit if there was a suitably qualified and knowledgeable person or persons on hand to provide the advice, not googling or guesses. You volunteering? ;) It can’t be any more of a flop than the apprentice forum :confused:

kiaora likes this.
  6. That probably applies to any forum in providing advice or guidance. With some of the questions raised in the Building forum section, I think there are already a fair few people who can offer Planning and Building Regulation advice.

7. Mary.M

Mary.M Member

@DOHarchitecture I think it's an incredibly useful idea!

still in dispute with my builder who insists he was not responsible for telling me my project was exempt from BR's when it wasn't

still insisting I pay him for work condemned by the BCO

I find the Planning Portal one of the worst-written public websites I've ever come across, stating things like 'both the building owner and the person carrying out the building work' to be responsible for meeting regulations, but without specifying how that responsibility is apportioned

there do exist legal definitions like 'joint tenants' or 'tenants in common' specifying rights over property ownership, there are different definitions of legal liability 'jointly, severally, jointly and severally', is it too much to ask that a website meant to inform the layman of their responsibility for Building Regulations could be written with clarity. especially because the Regulations have been, and continue to be, repeatedly updated

my problem has been down to my builder not being up to date and giving me advice that would likely have been valid in the dim, distant past

you're right there are a fair few people offering advice but regrettably it's not all true and anything that benefits public awareness with accuracy must be helpful

8. Thanks @Mary.M but no real need to bring that all up in this thread as it is already being discussed in another.