Plaster blistering

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Robg13, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Robg13

Robg13 New Member

Bought a 1950s semi about a year ago and have had the whole house skimmed, which was completed 6 months ago (ish). Moved in bank holiday weekend so until then house was empty, no heating on etc. We have now started seeing large blister forming under the plaster in a few of the rooms, up to approx. 100mm in size. All surfaces were PVA’d first. I would of thought if the plaster wasn’t going to take it would of blistered in the first few weeks. Seems strange it is happening now. Anyone come across this before?

Attached Files:

2. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Might be a stupid question but, was the old wallpaper stripped of?

Astramax likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Could indicate poor adhesion of a very thin skim, when was it emulsioned.:confused:

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Get digging and see what's happening. Is it the same new or existing plaster that's failing

5. Robg13

Robg13 New Member

Yes, all wallpaper fully stripped. Was left to dry a number of weeks before being painted to allow to fully dry. It’s just the new skim coat by the look of it, was going to cut a bit out but concerned once I start doing that even more might start coming away.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Pre applying PVA and skim what finish was on the wall prior to skimming

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you dig about and it comes away very easy it would be down to poor adhesion for some reason.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

That's paper or paint that's come away imo
    Can't leave it. Well my ocd problem I could not not leave it. Probably will find all the new wall plaster will come away.

My guess is modern emulsion has come away from degrading poor quality paint that's been on years. The wet plaster has caused adhesion to fail. I'd give the guy that skimmed it a call and see if he will own the problem and stand by work.

9. Robg13

Robg13 New Member

The plasterer is my brother in law, but he’s not come across it before, not far this down the line, but like us all is saying for some reason it hasn’t adhered to the wall.

So do you mean you think it’s the paint behind the new skim coat has come away from the old plaster?

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I plastered a massive stair wall August 2019 and following day I returned to find bubbles. Was some vinyl emulsion over builders contract had lost adhesion over night from the damp. Had to remove the lot. Sand the daylights out of it seal and skim again. We all get troubles at some point but I never seen that coming. Nightmare. You will know when you dig. On my job plaster had stuck to the top coat of emulsion but that had come away. Can happen over night or over time

11. Robg13

Robg13 New Member

Great, thanks. Will cut out one of the blisters out and see what it looks like behind. Just had the last carpet laid this week so really hoping it’s limited to the areas that have blistered. Can’t bare the thought of it being any worse than that :-(