Plaster boards for ceiling

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Kittykat185, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Kittykat185

Kittykat185 New Member

Hi,

complete newbie at DIY. I have Aztec ceilings and need them plasterboarded before I get it plastered. Going to do this myself, may be easier with your help though. Can you tell me what type and thickness of plaster board I need?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

12.7mm or 1/2inch square edge plasterboard, and if you are overboarding rather than ripping down bang a hole through the old ceiling first to gauge the thickness but you generally want 25mm/an inch of the black drywall screw penetrating into the joists. So if you've already got a layer of plasterboard up there you'll want 50mm black phosphate coarse thread drywall screws.

If you are actually boarding the ceilings yourself I would recommend you hire a board lifter, or box clever and get one one else to do it. Look up hiring a collated screwgun too.

3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Its a lot easier using 6'/1800 rather than 8'/2400 boards!

4. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

I think the OP may be from Mexico?

RolandK likes this.
  5. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

If the artex is sound it is possible to skim the ceiling as is without over boarding. Most of our ceilings have been done like that with no problems.