Plaster ceiling rose - fixing

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Muzungu, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Would be grateful for any opinions on this.

I am attaching a solid plaster ceiling rose onto a plasterboard ceiling. Being solid plaster, not one of these lightweight ones, it is a bit hefty. Going to be using adhesive and holding it in place, while curing, with three screws as in the photo, the red dots, then leaving the screws in place and filling the holes. The reason I am putting the screw holes close to the centre is that it will be easier to get a good finish rather than drilling through any decorative feature further out on the rose. The center of the rose, red circle, will be carved out.

The wood pattress to which the light will be attached will be screwed through the rose and into a batten above the plasterboard so the weight of the light fitting will not be on the rose itself.

Attached various photos and any opinions please fire away. Adhesive hints welcome, I may well have something that matches any suggestions but will nip down screwfix (5 minutes away) if not.

I have sanded the paint off the plasterboard ceiling where the rose will be stuck.

Thanks.
    upload_2020-2-12_12-52-32.png upload_2020-2-12_12-52-56.png upload_2020-2-12_12-54-55.png

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Is teh ceiling already painted? if so, you may need to strip that off.

I have seen the roses fixed using D&D adhesive or coving adhesive both of which are designed to adhere well to plaster.

Muzungu likes this.
  3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Thanks Mike that was quick. Yes, I will make sure all the paint is off. I will have a look in "the bucket", think I have some left.

4. Scrape the paint off as Mike says and use casting plaster to stick it to the ceiling.
    I would try and get some screws in further out from the centre, where you intend to put them is the thinnest part of the rose.

5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Thanks for that. Yes, I was wary of that, it was just that I was concerned about messing up any of the decorative elements. It's 20 mm thick at that point. Just thinking that I could screw in a batten across the face of the rose just while the adhesive was going off to hold it in place.

6. Just use the casting to fill any screw holes.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Stuck the ones I fitted that are a tad bigger than the one in the photo using Artex after priming the ceiling rose and ceiling with a 5:1 PVA mix. That was 22 years ago.

Muzungu likes this.
  8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

That's exactly the one I fitted to our ceiling. I just used some high performance grab adhesive (geocel the works gold) plus the screws from the central rose. Hasn't moved yet and I doubt it will that stuff sticks like the proverbial.

Muzungu likes this.
  9. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Thanks, just came to the conclusion as well that if I am screwing the central wood pattress into the batten above the plasterboard that's going to clamp the whole thing together. I am getting slow in my old age.

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Stuck loads of those up.

Cut hole with long hole cutter for cable. You can use drill and make many holes but it's not neat so use hole saw. Sand ceiling back to board if it has emulsion on. I'd seal with beeline sealer,but wood glue which is pva with water 50/50 will do, to seal rose at the back and the ceiling. Also do inside cable hole to stop dust falling in you eyes. Don't drill fixing hole where it can be seen unless you aren't fitting a light to rose. I always held rose at the light fitting hole position until it set in place then used same screw holes to hold light. Use gyproc cove adhesive just around the edge and 4 small blobs 50mm in from the centre. Push on ceiling and add one screw. Wait 2 hours and it's there for good.
    By putting adhesive around the edges is can squeeze out. 4 small blobs in centre will hold it solid with no give when you tighten light. If you put too much adhesive on especially at the centre you won't push it tight to ceiling, nor will it sit level. So 10x10mm line of adhesive around edge and 4 egg sized blobs around centre hole. That is all you need.Trust me. Will never come down.

If no light being fitted just use one screw on the centre flat surface sunk in a bit. Don't tighten until set but go easy.
    If you use too much adhesive it will all go wrong. You won't push it out so rose sits nice, and will take some getting off even before it set ,which could damage rose. I found it hard to hide drill holes especially if you are a bit ocd so don't drill necessarily in pattern area.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    FlyByNight and Muzungu like this.
  11. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Thanks Wayners, good points. I should have it all together tomorrow so will post a picture.

12. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

The last one of these I tried to put up broke in half as soon as a drill went near it, put it up in two bits with copious amounts of filler and it looked ok once it was all painted.

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

They drill fine. Go easy.

14. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Went through with a hole saw nice and clean, one side most of the way and then turned over to finish off to prevent any break out. upload_2020-2-12_22-47-1.png

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Should just about squeeze 2-3 T&E 1.5mm cables though that hole :p

No problem but what’s the point of cutting such a large diameter hole through the rose ?

15mm spade bit or similar would have sufficed but ........

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  16. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I went with the bigger hole so I could access the wago connectors easily (they will sit in the hole) if required by just unscrewing the wood pattress, there is now plenty of space for them to sit without being crushed between the bottom of the plaster rose and the batten. The hole will be covered by the pattress.

17. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

That's hole is fine. I remember fitting one on a big new build. I was the only one there and turned off electric to fit. Electrician turned up and wondered why there was no power and turned on. I was just fitting rose and massive flash and I fell on my back with rose still intact on my chest. Electrician came running. I put note on fuse boards now if it looks like other trades are about. Anyway I fitted rose and all good. I was young then. Kill me now..

18. That is why you lock off, locked off it would not have happened.

19. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

You could do any number of things to stop yourself getting hurt including getting an office job instead but **** happens occasionally, my lock off kit has never left the van apart from to show the scam bod.

20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ok that’s the reason
    I was assuming the new light fitting had a deep enough base that would accommodate the connections

Sounds like you have access from above (?) as you mention a batten above the plaster board

If so, I would have all the connections above ceiling, place connectors into an enclosure and drop single flex down to light fitting

But ...... as ever, many ways to ‘skin a cat’ ;)

It’s gonna work and look great, that’s whats important !

Muzungu likes this.