Plaster coming away from ceiling

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Johno, May 13, 2019.

1. Johno

Johno New Member

In my upstairs bedrooms there are cracks in the ceilings where the plaster has separated from the underlying plasterboard and looks like it's ready to fall off.

The first two photos are bedroom 1 where the plaster is coming away from the ceiling and is pretty bad:
    bedroom1-1.JPG bedroom1-2.JPG
    The third photo is bedroom 2 which had the same problem as bedroom 1 but was redecorated over 18 months ago and the cracked/falling plaster removed and filled in, but now shows the early stages where the plaster is starting to come away from the plasterboard:
    bedroom2.JPG
    Photos 4-6 show bedroom 3 which is as bad, if not worse than bedroom 1:
    bedroom3-1.JPG bedroom3-2.JPG
    The last photo shows the landing and early stages of the plaster coming away after being redecorated at the same time as bedroom 2: landing.JPG
    Can anyone suggest why this is happening? The house has some of the loft boarded over and used for storage but I don't believe having stuff in the loft is causing this problem.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Looks like someone has put there size 12 through them.
    Do you know if the ceilings were skimmed at any time, also be aware of the possibility of asbestos in the Artex.

3. Johno

Johno New Member

The ceiling is undamaged - no feet through the plasterboard.
    Yes, there was a skim layer of plaster applied over existing Artex just before I moved in around end of November 2010.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The skim coat over the old artex is the cause of your ceiling failure, seen it happen on a fair few ceilings. Timescale is in the ballpark for it to have failed, it might not have been sealed prior to skimming, some use PVA, others use Blue Grit (other sealers are available) which is a better product. Two choices, take the failed skim coat off and re skim after thorough preparation or overboard the complete ceiling and plaster onto a fresh surface.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Johno likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Remove loose plaster, then overboard with 9.5mm plasterboard & skim.

ramseyman likes this.
  6. Johno

Johno New Member

Cheers, so I can just remove the loose plaster, paint Blue Grit to the bare area and replaster over it once the Blue Grit has dried?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Remove failed skim coat completely, blue grit and re skim but to be sure I would overboard and re-plaster.

Johno likes this.