Plaster for very small job

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Danny32, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Danny32

Danny32 Member

Hi
    I’ve had most of my bathroom skimmed ready for the units.
    I decided not to have the tiled/wet area done as it’s going to be tiled.
    Now, looking at it I’d like to just apply a thin amount over the shower wall to even it up but looks like I’ll need to get a 25kg multi finish bag.
    Way too much and likely it will expire before doing any other plastering jobs that are needed.
    Just wondering if there’s smaller bags available.
    Any help appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

3. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

A bag of multi finish is about 7 quid, not really a major loss if you end up chucking half of it away!

Danny32 likes this.
  4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You can buy in smaller bags.All the diy stores sell. Shelf life is way longer than you think especially if you seal up. Just sets a bit faster when it gets old like a year plus

Danny32 likes this.
  5. Danny32

Danny32 Member

Thanks. I’ve only seen finishing plaster in 7.5kg bags. It’s going on old plaster, ready for tiles so multi finish I think would be better.
    I’ll probably go for a large bag from the suggestion there. PVA too is mostly available in 5L amounts. I probably only need a capful.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Small bags of finish plaster is the same as multi finish although there is a difference I can't tell what it is having used it.

Danny32 likes this.
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Speak to your plasterer who’s skimmed the other walls and see if he will sell you an ‘egg cup’ of PVA and couple Kg of plaster or look for a split bag in the sheds that are sold at a reduced price. Small amount of pva - can use white PVA type wood glue thinned out same as PVA - 1-5

Would have been best to have shower wall skimmed at same time / flatter the surface to start, better finish with the tiles

Who’s tiling ? Yourself or a pro ?

Danny32 likes this.
  8. Danny32

Danny32 Member

Thanks.
    At screwfix now picking up a trowel and some PVA.
    Also getting some Thistle multi finish from B&Q.
    I did consider having it all done but someone said why skim if being covered anyway.
    The larger wall there is solid plaster. Probably a better key for tiling.

I might have a go myself with the tiles. Ceramic easiest to work with or splash panelling but don't know much about that.

9. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Make sure you prime the bare plaster first, otherwise it will just suck out all of the moisture from your tile adhesive and you'll end up with either no bond, or a very weak one. SBR is best.

DON'T use PVA !!!!.

Danny32 likes this.
  10. Danny32

Danny32 Member

Ok thanks.
    So for a thin skim over old plaster, don't use PVA?
    I've bought some 'No Nonsense' stuff now but will need this anyway for a bare concrete wall job later.

11. Danny32

Danny32 Member

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

PVA for skimming between coats of plaster

SBR to prime the plaster before tiling

Can buy a tile specific brand of primer, branded Ardex, Bal, Topps, etc, or good old SBR will do the job admirably
    Follow instructions on tub for sealing plaster regarding dilution rates - probably around 1-4 / 1-5
    Wickes sell a 1lt SBR which is handy, most others only sell in 5lt
    Tile primers also come in 1lt

Take your pick :)

Danny32 likes this.
  13. Danny32

Danny32 Member

Thanks.
    SBR is a tile primer then. I can use that on the other rough wall too before tiling.
    Coat of diluted PVA before plastering the shower wall on the left in pic.

14. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Spot on.

Danny32 likes this.
  15. Danny32

Danny32 Member

Ok thanks. Bit new to plastering.
    This wall is good to practise on as it’s going to be covered.

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Why, if you are tiling, do you want a skim coat? Cement based tiling adhesives are good for up to around 12mm or so thickness. Max weight you can hang on skim is 20kg/sqm whereas direct to PB it's 32kg/sqm. With large format tiles, onto skim can be near the limit. Skim isn't great at taking weight.

You seem to be tiling on to old plaster - is it secure? If not you might be actually better hacking it off and screwing some tile backer board to the blocks.

Danny32 likes this.
  17. Danny32

Danny32 Member

The old plaster is secure, just needs needed PVA.
    The plasterer skimmed the opposite wall that will be tiled. I’m doing this one just to bring it level with the new plaster.
    Hoping the skim will be ok.

Attached Files:

18. Danny32

Danny32 Member

The plaster mostly seems ok and there were tiles there before although quite small format.
    A couple of small areas pop when tapped and I did read somewhere about drilling holes in the area and putting in some PVA.
    Don’t really want to take it all off.

Attached Files:

19. Danny32

Danny32 Member

I think I might have to. Bath installation on hold again :(
    There’s a couple of large areas that are popping. Plaster’s probably about 12mm deep so how much
    popping or blown plaster warrants taking it all off?
    Also how thick does a new skim or backer board on Thermalite block need to be for tiles?
    Maybe board would be better as mentioned.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  20. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

something like hardiebacker is 12-13mm thick. To give it a little support on a non-flat wall you can use plasterboard adhesive or foam adhesive (I've done both) but it needs screwing and plugging to the blocks/studs (if it's a stud wall) - the adhesive is purely to get the board to sit nice and flat. Once fixed, it will take I believe tiles up to 40kg sqm plus tiled direct.

You really don't want to be hanging tiles on loose plaster. They hurt when they fall off and land on your toe....

Danny32 likes this.