Plaster lath ceiling bowing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by George t, Apr 24, 2022.

1. George t

George t New Member

Hi all,

My plaster & kath ceiling is slightly bowing from the center of about 30mm to the edge.

I’m debating whether to take it all down and plasterboard over it. Or just plasterboard over and try level it out with ply board to make it level.

https://imgur.com/a/L5moNTl

any other ideas or opinions much appreciated. Thanks

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Take it down ,but beware it's one hell of a dirty / dusty job.

gadget man and Kitfit like this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Y Fork in the ceiling cracks is a bad sign. Small areas can be cleaned, pva and plaster poured over from above to strength but many are too far gone. Working above ceilings like yours has the risk of falling down at any time so pull down.
    Tarps on floor to stop dust falling through floor boards.
    Board over that windows to protect.
    Pull down and bag up.
    Will need skip. It's a terrible job tbh.

gadget man likes this.
  4. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Depends. Can you get at the top surface, i.e. from the loft, and see what if anything has let go? It could be the plaster, the lath (nails of), or neither, ity might be just like it. You might be able to fix it (as Wayners' suggestion), you might not, if it's holding up properly but just cracked the cracks are easy to fix properly. You could possibly overboard it with plaster board screwed right through into the joists. If you take it down, rake out the top edges of the lime plaster on the walls, you should find there's a "layer" where the ceiling was done first then the walls plastered up, so that the edge of the plaster boards can be inserted & held up once the gap's filled. If you have to take it down, it is a major advantage to be able to do it from above. If you have to work under, a pickaxe is useful for levering it all down, but make sure you have first-rate mask and goggles, it's a foul job if not. I might even be tempted to try improvising an air helmet, it's awful.

5. Hooper

Hooper Member

best to take it down now while you got the room empty. as everyone says it a VERY dusty job so correct PPE essential

6. George t

George t New Member

The job has been completed. Can confirm it was slightly dusty