Plaster rose

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by gswainyboy, May 5, 2020.

1. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

We have plaster roses fitted on every light fitting in our bungalow.All ceilings are artexed with 'light' broken leather pattern.If I removed them all as carefully as possible is it likely that I could get the area's re-artexed so that they matched the rest of the ceilings.Thanks in advance. Stay safe.Graham

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Matching in pattern is hit and miss, but being in the centre of the room is worst place for showing up. Skim or artex ceiling again is the answer but I guess you could try first to satisfy your curiosity

3. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Thanks for the reply Wayners.Thats what I suspected but obviously the cost of getting all ceilings reskimmed against 'patching' would be vastly different.thanks again.Graham

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Use easyfill 20 to patch. Pva area to seal then smooth filler with wet sponge around edges. As preparation sets get a fresh mix straight on to pattern, and again use sponge and fingers or anything to shape and keep edges tidy to blend in. The fast setting of easyfill don't shrink as it dries which causes the patch to show more when using artex. Fortunately the pattern you have is one of the better patterns to patch.
    If you prepare then let it dry, you will need to seal before you pattern hence I skip that and get on with it in most cases while still damp. The result is better this way. When you paint the fresh patterned areas may look whiter,so a stain block over the entire ceiling may be required.

5. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Many thanks for the info. I hadn't consdered doing it myself but having read your detailed reply will definitely be having a go. Cheers again mate and will let you know how it goes. Stay safe. G

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Load picture and I can see what it is and advise how it was done. It's the most varied pattern

7. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Will take a pic now then post in a minute

8. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Thin mix that. Bag over stipple brush was used but make something up. 2 car sponges covered with duck tape to make pad then wrap a bag around it. Think you will need a thin ish bag vs the thicker bag but try both. Pattern is not sharp and smooth in places so thinner mix was used like thick pouring custard. Have a practice on some board first, but remember a damp sponge is your friend when preparing and to clean off around edges when you
    pattern. Drives my OCD mad patching ceilings lol. Just got to get it best you can and walk away. Good luck

gswainyboy likes this.
  10. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

11. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Haha. Maybe last bit should go first mate... Walk away... Seriously though, am deffo going to give it a go and will post result on here. Thanks again for all useful info.

Wayners likes this.
  12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I knew a guy once that used a floor mop with bin liner over to make pattern like that. He could bang out ceilings no trouble but wasn't for me. Looked ok I guess for site work

13. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Mmmm. Will give that idea a miss. She will have me mopping floor as well

Wayners likes this.
  14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

While you are mopping where will broom be? Multi tasko_O

15. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Yeah...we've all been there at some time or another Paaaiiinful !!!:eek:

Wayners likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sponge in a supermarket carrier bag works wonders, for a high class finish use a Waitrose bag then again if your not fussed use a Tesco one as they are thinner. Leave it lose and bag not pulled tight.;)

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

'loose'....:rolleyes:

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Also looks to have been very lightly laced over to flatten the peaks.

19. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I couldn't make my mind up if laced or not. Parts maybe but other parts not.

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Picture 3 & 4 me thinks, very lightly though. ;)