plaster sealer v mist coat

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Gladys, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Gladys

Gladys Member

I have made some mistakes in past but I am having lounge and kitchen skimmed soon. Is it best to use mist coat - non matt emulsion(I am learning) or plaster selaer

Kitchen will have a top coat of Johnstone acrylic durable matt it says on the tin for porous surfaces watered down but as it is new plaster and not a emulsionas of sorts should I use plaster sealer or mist coat of non vinyl emulsion. Or a mist coat of durable matt.

I am so scared of doing the wrong. = Does plaster sealer work like PVA or does it soak in to plaster also can I apply once dry or when do I have to leave wekks/month

2. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

Use the acrillic as the mist coat, just water down the amount you need and not the whole tin!
    Dont bother with PVA, waste of time and effort, if the plaster is just a skim, then a good couple of days clear will be fine, otherwise give it about 10 - 14 days to dry in depth.

3. Gladys

Gladys Member

Thanks for all your help. So why dont I need a mist coat of contract emulsion for this and I have to have for vinyl matt - This is where I get confused. I presume the acrylic paint is micro porous so it can let the plaster breath (I am gettinf all technical now)

The kitchen will not be finished painting until Sept when new kitchen going in. But I thought I would get a quick mist coat of watered down matt emulsion to stop all the dust.

Also the durable matt is well expensive.

Last question when the plaster is dry can I wipe it down to stop the dust going every where also I am afraid there could get grease or something on it before I start painting
    I used the Floetrol today with some water based egg shell it is great. Thanks for the tip. ded ;lea

4. jobsagooden

jobsagooden New Member

It will be fine to use contract emulsion, and cheaper.

5. jobsagooden

jobsagooden New Member

But water it down.

6. Gladys

Gladys Member

Thanks

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Try to get a mist coat on BEFORE you need to wipe it down.

The new plaster will eat grease and it will remain and subsequently cause problems when coming to paint.

The idea of sealing is not so much which sealer route you take, but to seal. There are a number of different ways to seal, and I don't think it's all that important which one you choose.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

8. Gladys

Gladys Member

Thanks