plaster swirls

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by chippie84, Dec 8, 2009.

  1. chippie84

    chippie84 New Member

    this ones for the plasterers,im a chippie by trade and quite competent at plastering,i can do walls and ceilings no problem,a friend of mine has asked me to plaster their living room ceiling with a swirl effect? just wanted to ask whats the best thing to use to create the swirl pattern?


  2. chippie244

    chippie244 Super Member

    A lack of taste :)
  3. A small artex stippler spun in circles was the chosen tool in the PAST to create that 'work of art' :(
  4. Teuchter

    Teuchter New Member

    Sit your 'friend' down,. and talk to them.

    For as long as it takes...
  5. nearnwales

    nearnwales Member

    its actually a stippler with in a plastic bag a crinkle one and its done in artex and not plaster
  6. imran_

    imran_ New Member

    I'd get some new friends.... with taste!
  7. Cooper Dracon

    Cooper Dracon New Member

    just plaster it the best you can, it bound to have loads of swirls in it by the time DIYer like has finished.
  8. high2low

    high2low New Member

    ey chip!!
    get use to negetive feedback on these forums,ive been using screwfix for over 2 years and never posted till today,some on here do offer constructive feedback but most dont know their **** from their elbow.i see your op and the majority like to jump on aman who requires advise,nobody likes a no it all.ive been a plasterer for over 30 years so im here to offer my advise to you.the tool to create patterns in plaster can range,to create the pattern you want it can be done with a stipple brush,it can also be done with a trowel,but to do it with a trowel takes skill and would also need to use a textured mix to spread to the surface you intend to plaster then proceed to create your patterns of choice.chip? if you require anymore advise your more than welcome to contact me.ignore the rest of these muppets their only here to put people down.

  9. chippie244

    chippie244 Super Member

    Hi high2low.
    Most of the advice on this post has been "Dont do it!"
    This is because it is very old fashioned to have a textured ceiling and was generally used to disguise dodgy work.
    If you want to pay someone to make it look like you are a 70's throwback and have a cracked lath and plaster ceiling and probably an Avocado bathroom suite then go ahead.
    You could also post on the painters forum about woodchip wallpaper, I've heard it looks the dogs ****** on a freshly reskimmed wall.
    Try learning a bit of punctuation whilst you're are at it you muppet.
  10. high2low

    high2low New Member

    hi 244
    the original post claimed the advice he wanted was to do plaster swirls,thats what he said and i offered my advice,yes i agree its very old fashioned and the last time i stippled a ceiling was more than 15 years ago,its generally not what people go for anymore,another way that it could be looked upon is,if you have to ask how to do shouldn't be doing it fullstop,ive been spreading plaster for over 30 years and time and time again ive been called upon to fix work done by men (who think) they can do it and make an absolute bollix in the the end of the day what do i care how the job turns out,im not doing it,i only explained how it was done.that was all mate.

  11. chippie244

    chippie244 Super Member

    Fair enough and judging from my posting time I was probably ******. No offence meant.
    John :)
  12. Ruski

    Ruski Member

    Further to this distressing 70's throwback - I actually have to do an insurance repair job which involves a small area of boarding the ceiling and then - yep - artexing.. boo hoo.
    However the 'pattern' in question isn't your swirl/fan/leather, but what looks like condensation on a ceiling if you get what I mean - not spikey, but small smooth droplets... and I haven't a clue as to how to recreate it - looks very much like a rollered finish.. can anyone advise????

    Cheers guys

  13. joinerjohn

    joinerjohn New Member

    Ruski, tis done with a roller. BTW whilst on about plastering,, Here's a scenario. A person living in a grade one listed Elizabethan house, wants to have the ceiling skimmed so it's perfectly flat. What would the regs say about this???
  14. hallbeck

    hallbeck New Member

    A person living in a grade one listed Elizabethan house, wants to have the ceiling skimmed so it's perfectly flat. What would the regs say about this???

    This would require listed building consent.

    If granted then its almost guranteed that lime plaster would be required to be used.
  15. Ruski

    Ruski Member

    Cheers JJ - as I thought - only question now is what 'type' of roller - is there a specialised type/pattern - something to leave an imprint of theses 'condensation droplets' I've gotta match??
  16. joinerjohn

    joinerjohn New Member

    Ruski, do a google search for artex. The roller you need is called a stipple foam roller. Probably be able to pick one up from Johnstones or Dulux dec centres. ;)
  17. Guest

    A plastic dimpled roller is your best bet, b&q/sheds sometimes stock them. I think you'll be hard pushed to match the old with the new? the scrim over the joint would have to be feathered out with plaster before the artex is applied, mixing the artex thin should help.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice