Plasterboard help please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Diggsy95, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Diggsy95

Diggsy95 New Member

Hi everyone, my wife and I have just bought a house and started stripping the wallpaper to start redecorating.

Unfortunately we've discovered some of the walls in some rooms are plasterboard. This is now scraped up because the paper has ripped off the plasterboard as its been torn away.

Would this require a full replacement or would we be able to sort it out with some sanding and skimming? We wanted to paint the walls not paper.

This is our first project and we were not expecting this so we're unprepared and don't want to waste tons of money on the wrong fix.

Any help is appreciated

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Proper job would be to get it skimmed.

If on tight budget a big pot of easifill, a wide filling knife and a lot of sanding (use a proper sanding float) plus a shed load of patience will get you there

Alwaysworking and Squashrobinson like this.
  3. Squashrobinson

Squashrobinson Active Member

Get it skimmed.

By the time you buy a couple of sizes of knife, a bag of easifill, a mixing paddle, a hand sander and a roll of sandpaper plus spend hours and hours making dust, you'll wish you did.

Alwaysworking likes this.
  4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Gardz then wall smoother.
    That's if doing yourself

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

+1 ;)

6. Diggsy95

Diggsy95 New Member

What's gardz?

Thanks everyone else for chipping in on this. Much appreciated

7. Alwaysworking

Alwaysworking Active Member

Depends how much you actually need doing and how good you are, even easyfil requires some skill and some tools.
    Personally I’d opt for skimming, as you say you want to paint the walls when finished.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Just Google gardz. It's a sealer perfect for you want. It's crazy sf don't sell it...

9. Diggsy95

Diggsy95 New Member

Ah OK, that's great thanks so much I think skimming is the way to go.

Cheers!

Alwaysworking likes this.