Plasterboard or AIB?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by t.jardine1996@gmail.com, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

excellent post

2. Thanks all for advice. It's going to be costly but well worth it but better than worrying over it! Just a pretty about the fire door exposure which worries me the most!
    Of course I will let you know what the results are!

Thanks again

Matthew

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Good luck Matthew, just one thing before you book to get things tested, take a walk around your house to see if any other areas worry you so it's all done at once, you don't want to think of another area that might worry you later.

Best wishes,
    teabreak

4. The places which I will get tested is

• Artex
    • Soffits
    The only problem is I would like Garage roof tested but I presume they are concrete roman roof tiles. Not Asbestos roof.
    • Wall
    Thanks again

Matthew

5. For the Garage roof I have looked on many websites and now I am spooked out I am not sure if it would be feasable to get Garage roof tested or how It can be tested? Its shown me some pictures of Asbestos cement roof tile filiting ( Under tiles) Which does look the same to what my roof is like. I have posted a picture of the roof tiles before On here I am sure and soffits. Considering Asbestos cement was banned in 1999 does it mean its likely to contain it in a 1995 build? I have also contacted other forums such as Asbestos Adviser which seem to say unlikely but entirely possible to all my concerns. Sorry about more posts but I suppose its a forum after all!

6. surfermick

surfermick New Member

TJ,get somebody less concerned than yourself to take a small piece of the garage roof board off and send it off for testing. yes it is possible that it is asbestos, cement fibre board which the powers that be used to replace the asbestos board looks the same as asbestos (yes, i agree, where is the sense, there isnt any)....

7. So you are saying that it could be cement fibre board rather than Asbestos? Did not know as you put a comma it looked like Asbestos, cement fibre board. Gosh the Lab will have their work cut out doing all the samples!

8. surfermick

surfermick New Member

its simple, you take a sample and have it tested.

9. I will get it tested but my question was did you say Cement fibre board was the replacement for Asbestos or Asbestos, Cement fibre board?

10. surfermick

surfermick New Member

sorry if my grammar is poor TJ, cement fibre board is the replacement product for asbestos board. when they banned the use of asbestos the powers that be came up with cement fibre board as a replacement, both products look the same. its a pity they look the same because it would then be easy to tell whether you had cement fibre board or asbestos board.

11. Thats ok. Really my house is a arkward age if it say was built in the 70's or 80's its pretty much guranteed to contain it. I seem to recall most Asbestos products being banned by 1993. The only thing I can do is like you say to get it tested and see what the result is. I have some more pictures to upload later. The board? The thing I am concerned about is the under tiles in the roof and the side. I will upload some pictures of it at later date.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Simple.....sell the house..!!!!!! End of problem.

13. surfermick

surfermick New Member

ok, thats my lot , im done, more pictures being offered means its a wind up, maybe someone else will pick up on your asbestos obsession but its game over for me. hope youve had fun, cheers

14. I blame all the hype about it all making me paronoid about it believe me I am sick of worring about it! Its not the case of it being a wind up . Not being a Asbestos expert does not help much either! Thats fine if you don't like this topic I thank you all for advice given.
    Like I say I will get it tested and let you know of the outcome :)  Anyone want go to halfers for all the money its going to cost to get them all tested? haha

15. Update: I have contacted a few Asbestos survery companies about my concerns. They said the likelyhood of a 18 year old house having asbestos is low but not impossible. However though they did say that undercloak (roof overhang) material could contain Asbestos cement in a few cases in 90's build homes. Yet to have any samples taken but hopefully it will happen soon once I find a company to test it . However am sure its fairly obvious that Artex is my worry. The Artex has got a small hole in if it did contain it would it be ok? It would be really helpful if any member on here who  works in the building trade could say if on the whole a 18 year old house would not contain Asbestos?

Cheers.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Get a life or get a test done.

17. Hoverfly

Hoverfly New Member

Or get a life whilst having the test done.

18. How rude! I will get a test done on it. Don't like what I say don't reply to it.

19. skud007

skud007 New Member

Hi,
    Can anyone offer any advice on whether this is pasterboard or AIB. From reading and looking at picks I think is the former, but thought would ask for opions.
    Thanks in advance DSC00361e.jpg DSC00364e.jpg DSC00369e.jpg DSC00370e.jpg DSC00360e.jpg