Plasterer has scraped Artex ceilings - is this potentially dangerous?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Woods94, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Woods94

Woods94 New Member

Currently getting the ceilings skimmed in our new house. Without consulting anyone/ getting it tested he's scraped off the Artex ceiling leaving the room very dusty and the artex chippings everywhere. I don't know much about it but various people have said this is dangerous as it may disturb asbestos.

Could this potentially be hazardous for us?

The house is pretty much empty bar tools etc. We won't really be in the house while the skimming's going on. The house was built in 1980 so before asbestos was banned

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Artex can potentially contain asbestos.

3. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Do you know roughly what year the artex was applied?

4. Woods94

Woods94 New Member

Not sure - I know the previous owners lived there since the house was built in 1980 so could potentially have had the artex put in then

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I spray with water then scrape if I do ceilings. Done loads but if I think it could contain asbestos I leave alone these days. I put plastic down. Ware a disposable suite and good mask then dump the lot when done, but I am not aware of any asbestos in artex from 1988 ish onwards. They say 2000 was the cut off year but I question that date. They did lift the restrictions on on white asbestos in artex but now it seems they have gone back the other way. Tradesman should have discussed with you before work started as I would of.

6. LEH

LEH Active Member

Better to overboard then skim. Small extra cost for not taking any chances with safety.

DIY womble and Wayners like this.
  7. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

££££££ unfortunately comes into the equation , always suggest this to my customers , very few can be talked round

8. Offer to overboard it at £££ extra, or not at all.

9. DIY womble

Been doing artex back to flat for at least 20 years , too late for me

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

And me. And I mixed asbestos artex up

DIY womble likes this.
  11. DIY womble

The good old days

12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Slap it on and cash in the pocket :)

13. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Aparrently they stopped adding asbestos to artex in 1984. (give or take!)

14. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Although not ideal and a bit very silly of the plasterer, I wouldn't worry too much - certainly not for yourselves. But DO bring it to his attention and express your concerns for both your family and for the workers themselves.

Insist that it's all vacuumed up to a high standard; you don't expect to find any lines of dust in skirting cracks, floorboards grooves or nuffink. Ensure he does this before you return to do whatever you are doing in there.

He will likely try and reassure you that it's unlikely to contain asbestos and - even if it does - the risk is minute. Whatevs - you still want it completely vacuumed up.

And then don't worry.

Wayners likes this.
  15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Good post above

16. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

High standard will mean "H" rated vac not your normal Henry or Dyson.

17. Woods94

Woods94 New Member

Thanks for your replies all.

I'll have a word with the plasterer asap and ask what his normal clean up involves. Would be interesting to know how many other people have been in my position with jobs like this

18. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

A regular vacuum will SPREAD asbestos, Type H or tack rag the whole place, dispose of drop sheets all as contaminated waster. Or, take a piece of the artex to a local asbestos consultant laboratory for analysis and do a regular clean safe in the knowledge of no asbestos

PS, it was used up till 1999

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Get him to clear it up and stop worrying. You're more likely to cut your life short worrying about Brexit than any potential asbestos content of artex.

Julie H and Jord86 like this.
  20. Radial

Radial New Member

This and others on here saying 'stop worrying' or 'i've done it loads' are really not helpful.
    Just because you don't care about your health or don't believe the science, does not mean it is not a problem. It just means you have decided the risk isn't high enough for you to worry about. Others may have a different opinion about their health.

This same thing happened in my house while I was out, after I told the idiot expressly not to scrape because I know (by testing) that all my ceilings contain Artex.
    The plasterer did not get paid. He is lucky I am not taking him to court for clean up costs, especially since he ignored a direct instruction.

He does not have to live here, my family do, and so if he doesn't want to do it without scraping then the options are overboard or don't do the job and I will get someone else... ignoring instructions and potentially endangering someone else's health is not acceptable. Ever.