Plasterer - not plastered down to the floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DIDont, Jan 22, 2021.

1. DIDont

DIDont New Member

Hi all,

New to the forum but looking for some advice reference some plastering we’ve had done.

we’re having our kitchen replaced and subsequently have had to have two walls, the ceiling and the utility plastered. The plasterer has done a good job however he’s not plastered all of the wall. He has stopped just below where the counters will be and wherever pipes are present he has not plastered below or about a foot above any of the pipes (hot and cold/gas pipes, all with an inch of clearance from the wall). The justification is that the units will cover the parts that aren’t plastered but in the future if we want to rearrange the kitchen or need a flush surface to mount against we won’t be able to.

I can somewhat understand his argument however what I can’t justify is that he’s not plastered all the way down to the floor in the utility behind where the washing machine and dryer will go and there certainly isn’t a smooth transition from where he has stopped plastering to the plasterboard. As these units aren’t fixed and will inevitably be removed at some point I’ve asked him to come back and correct this but he’s refusing on the basis he says it’s standard practice. The quote was for all walls to be plastered floor to ceiling.

Am I being pedantic or is it standard practice to stop plastering just below the level of the counters?

Would appreciate some guidance before I chose whether to try and get him back again. I’ve tried to upload some photos but says the files are too large!

Thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What was agreed and written in the quotation?

3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Plastering should come down to past where skirting board starts or anywhere that you told him to do all though to be fair its usually stopped short of the floor to stop little bits of debris being picked up as its skimmed near to the floor. Stopping just past the counters is not a standard thing.If you want a wall plastered you want a wall plastered its not up to him to second guess what and where units are going to be placed within the kitchen

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No it's damn well not standard practice, well maybe it is for lazy 'plasterers' who can't wait to get out the door or have spent more on a bag of multifinish than they envisaged but that's his problem. If the quote was for floor to ceiling skim, get him back or get a third of your money back.

gadget man and BiancoTheGiraffe like this.
  5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

As above - he's bodged it.

Bodged it and scarpered!

gadget man likes this.
  6. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Lazy bugger!

It's certainly not "standard practice"!

Ordinarily, I could understand someone wanting to get done asap, but what the hell was he rushing off for? It's not like he could get to the pub early...

gadget man and Severntrent like this.