Plasterer scraped artex ceiling AFTER being told it had asbestos

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by JaneDonut, Jan 6, 2020.

1. JaneDonut

JaneDonut New Member

Help! I left our plasterer to skim over our lounge ceiling today whilst I was at work and he has chipped off large chunks of it, left it all over the floor and then skimmed the ceiling. This is AFTER I told him it had white asbestos in it! He then SWEPT up the debris and chucked the stuff in the nearby bin. Surely this is all highly illegal because he's not asbestos licensed and he shouldn't have put asbestos in the regular bin?! What should I do?

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

What year is your house please?

3. JaneDonut

JaneDonut New Member

1930s

4. Joe the Plumber

Okay, thanks. I just wondered if it was newer than 1984 as that's approximately when Artex stopped containing asbestos.
    Have you had it tested to be certain it has asbestos in it?

I doubt the plasterer will have scraped it off on purpose. It's likely there were loose patches which came off when he started work
    and as his plaster would stick to them rather than the existing plaster underneath, he had no choice but to remove them.

I'd have a chat with your local council tomorrow. They should be able to offer some advice on how to proceed.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Asbestos was banned in Artex in 1999, but there was old stocks still being used well into 2000.

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  6. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

What to do? Leave the stuff in the bin.

buy a set of disposable overalls and an asbestos grade face mask and then clean your room thoroughly by wiping with damp cloths. Damp cloth collects dust and stops any dust being created by cleaning. Don’t use a vacuum As it will blow the dust around

7. JaneDonut

JaneDonut New Member

Yes we had it sent away to be tested professionally.

He said he had to scrape the high points off first.

I'll call our council first thing tomorrow, thank you.

8. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

He would of knocked the snots off in preparation for plastering.

9. JaneDonut

JaneDonut New Member

Ugh too late - my other half vacuumed the room when he came home from work :-/

10. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

The Council will love this one...asbestos contaminated waste put in a domestic bin and to top it all ....not doubled bagged....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

KIAB likes this.
  11. Joe the Plumber

Thanks Kiab, I didn't know it was that late. Remarkable, given how well known its effects were much earlier.

12. Abrickie

Abrickie Super Member

He said he was going to scrape it, and you let him !!:confused:

13. JaneDonut

JaneDonut New Member

No you misread that. He said after I got home today that he had to scrape the high points off first to then skim over it. He did NOT tell me that before (as stated in my original post).

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

First thing to do is to stop panicking, there’s a blind ignorance associated with asbestos and it does nobody any good. Secondly, you told him there was asbestos in it, he’d have to scrape off high points in order to get a flat finish, did he not tell you what skimming your ceiling would entail? Thirdly, if the concern was that high, why did you not opt to overboard the ceiling with new plasterboard and skim over that?

rogerk101 and Astramax like this.
  16. JaneDonut

JaneDonut New Member

17. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

I think you need to go out and buy a fully sealed space suit with oxygen. Get the house totally sealed up. Remove all contents of house and burn in a special factory. Then have the whole house demolished and rebuilt. :rolleyes:

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  18. JaneDonut

JaneDonut New Member

I am not a tradesperson, how am I meant to know what on earth skimming a ceiling will entail? Do you know what a Q-methodology survey is? No, because you're not a qualitative social scientist and you're not expected to know.
    I thought skimming it would literally just cover the artex, NOT damage it. We told him about the asbestos, he came round and said 2 rooms with artex walls would need to be boarded but the ceiling's artex didn't stick out much so could be skimmed.

19. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Artex contains in the area of 1.8% to 4% asbestos, so a very small amount. (HSE figures).

20. JaneDonut

JaneDonut New Member

You only need to inhale 1 fibre to get asbestosis.