Plastering advice

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by George dovey, Apr 21, 2016.

1. George dovey

George dovey New Member

Afternoon all

Please can you help or advise me on a little problem.

We have a fairly large conservatory, where the Old doors from the house come in to conservatory you can now see the large sq from where the plaster is blowing. We had a plaster come out and quote, we accepted the quote and he said he would dig out the bad stuff re fill and then use a tape to strengthen, then skim over.

This was done yesterday, when finished I noticed you can see the tape and In fact clearly see the sq still, he said it would be fine and after it dries will be all ok.

I have attached photos of old and new and would appreciate and advice on where to go with this from here, I have not payed him yet as I believe in 6 weeks this will blow again.??

Hopefully you can see from photos as these are best I can take.

Thanks in advance. ;-)

Attached Files:

2. Hard to tell from the photos.

'Blown' plaster is plaster wot's detached itself from the backing wall, so is effectively self-supporting. It will sound hollow when tapped, and might even display some movement when pressed.

Does that apply to yours?

I mean, it might not actually be blown, just suffering some hairline expansion cracks where there are panels or sections or brick mortar lines below.

(What is under the plaster - tho old exterior wall?)

It's not unusual either to see the texture of the tape under the skim - although I have to say it does look thin...

You'll only know if it'll disappear after it's painted.

How much did this cost, may I ask?

3. George dovey

George dovey New Member

Hi, thanks for your reply. The previous owner had the conservatory built by Anglian, part of the plaster is on an outside wall, the part that had a massive crack the whole way round is actually a stud wall behind with plasterboard on top. When I touched the old plaster it would stay together but had a bounce to it, the plaster that I used said he just needed to dig out a section and then fill, tape and skim and the plasterboard didn't need replacing, i didn't see the work while being done only finished. The new plaster is drying and you can clearly see the original sq that I wanted replacing, if you press very lightly again the plaster has a bounce in it but only around the whole crack. Hope this makes sense to someone with more knowledge :).

He quoted me £180 to do the 5 X 2 m wall and it took about 4 hrs start to finish.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There shouldn't be any flex on the plasterboard around the edges. I think that someone may have missed out putting in noggins/supports when the stud wall were built or plasterboard doesn't correlate to the supports.

Had a crack in the ceiling bedroom, when I went into loft the edge of the plasterboard wasn't nailed to anything, so had to put in a length of batten, and then screw in from below.

I fear that the work carried out is only superficial and will reappear.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Studs are too far apart, skimming wall, will not last & won't solve the problem.

Only wall to solve the problem is strip right back, add additional studs, reboard, tape & skim.

6. George dovey

George dovey New Member

That's my fear as well and the fact that after 1 day it is already showing then I feel it's a job that isn't done well. He knew the reason and what we wanted done so if when he started taking it out and it needed extra strength or even re plasterboard I would have been happy to pay additional, but to have what I already had I can only see this going one way in that I refuse to pay until it's corrected.

7. George dovey

George dovey New Member

Thanks for advice gives me something to tackle him on going forward

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Forgot to add the noggins.:oops:

Studs should be fixed at 400mm centres.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    George dovey likes this.
  9. If the plaster coating is properly adhered to the plasterboard behind, and if the cracks were caused by an original lack of scrim tape, then chances are it'll now be fine. The cracks should not reappear 'cos he's added the 'missing' scrim tape.

If the movement you are detecting in the plaster is actually the whole plasterboard moving and not chust a loose skim, and if you can live with that amount of movement (just stop pressing the darned wall... :) ) then, as before, you should be ok.

I mean, do you really want the whole lot removed chust to add an extra stud/noggin? That's a lot of work and mess.

If the cracks reappear, you have the guy over a barrel (literally if that's your thing...). Chust make sure you have a detailed invoice and receipt from him for this work - make sure it mentions "Repair to cracks in skimmed wall..." or similar, and you already have photos of the 'before' and 'after'.

So, you can safely pay up and get on with your life...

If any cracks reappear, you call him back and insist he repairs it for now't (or for the cost it would originally have been for an 'extra-stud' job). He will have to do this or you get someone else to do it and then sue the original guy.

That's the way it works.

What I wouldn't suggest you do is tell this guy 'he hasn't done a proper job' - unless you know for certain that he hasn't.