Plastering Advice

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Lee Hargreaves, Jun 7, 2018.

?

Is it fine to plaster over jointing and tape on plasterboard?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lee Hargreaves

Lee Hargreaves New Member

Hi all,

I've dot and dabbed a load of walls. I was going to mesh tape the corners and joins to plaster over, but read everywhere it is better to use joint compound and tape instead, in case theres any movement with the walls and ceilings as tape and joint will hide cracks better than mesh tape. As long as I pva over the joint compound that's over the tape on the joins, is it ok to plaster over? Or is joint and tape just for a paint finish and not a plaster finish?

I was going to use mesh but am now worried jointing is for a paint finish and not a plaster finish and may have to start all over again.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

If you're plastering the plasterboard, then use mesh tape.
    If you're painting the plasterboard, then use the paper tape and joint compound (spackling) for the joins, and just joint compound for the screw heads.

3. Lee Hargreaves

I've already joint compounded the joins. But I'm wanting to plaster. Have I done it wrong? Do I need to take it all back down if I'm wanting to plaster?

4. rogerk101

If it were mine, I'd just add the mesh tape over what's there already and skim plaster over the whole lot.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

'ditto':)

6. Lee Hargreaves

OK. One of the reasons I jointed the joins was because some of the boards werent level. I then read paper tape is better than mesh tape because mesh tape is more likely to crack or show cracks if theres any movement. But as long as I put a bit of PVA over the joint compound, it is fine to plaster over?

7. rogerk101

Why the need for PVA? Multi-finish or Hardwall plaster sticks like **** to a blanket, so PVA is certainly not necessary, and may even detract from the bond.

8. Lee Hargreaves

Thanks. I just thought if its not straight onto plasterboard then it needs PVA. I went on a plastering course and they showed that if plastering over plaster thats fully dry then you water down some PVA glue to create bond. I also read about putting some pva on before plastering elsewhere too. I'm just trying to do everything the proper way, regardless of time and effort.

9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

And don't even think about adding pva to the plaster, it is NOT needed.

10. Lee Hargreaves

Loads of websites say you should PVA before plastering...

11. rogerk101

I think you'll find that they suggest it if there are different surfaces of different absorption rates. Applying a coat of diluted PVA helps by reducing those differences. This is only really useful for single coat skimming.
    Well done skimming is done with two coats, with the first coat unifying the absorption rates and the second coat applied while the first coat is set but still wet. In this case, the PVA is certainly unnecessary.

12. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

If you've taped and used joint filler, then pva the filler before skimming.

DIY womble likes this.
  13. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

I always PVA board adhesive and joint compound before skimming , in this case I would paint your paper tape areas with water and remove,

14. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

And replace with mesh