Plastering advice

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Sootay12, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Sootay12

Sootay12 New Member

Hi everyone,

Probably a silly question, but I can't find an absolute answer and I want to check before I start ordering stuff.

So, I'm putting up tapered edge plasterboards in a couple of rooms upstairs. I was going to plaster over it anyway, but I was wondering about how I should go about it. I was thinking, if I tape the joins and then fill with plaster rather than actual filler. It would save me some money, but is this a good idea? Or shall I just pay for the filler and do it properly.

Any advice for a beginner at this would be really appreciated.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

3AAAA94C-B7CB-4975-9BF2-9037F9980EFE.jpeg
    scrim the joint, knock up a bit of plaster and fill the joints. When it’s picked up, skim the lot. If it’s dried out a bit by the time you get to skim, just wet it with your water brush. E71DBD11-6F37-4709-9502-834D44AACD10.jpeg

Here’s a couple of pics of a job from last year. 15mm dB boards. The bottom half of the room was later clad in white rock wall panelling.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    Sootay12 likes this.
  3. Sootay12

Sootay12 New Member

Perfect, just what I was hoping for. Thanks for that.

CGN likes this.
  4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Btw, if you’re filling the joints of a whole room in one go and there’s a few hours before you skim the walls, use a bit of watered down pva.

Sootay12 likes this.
  5. Sootay12

Sootay12 New Member

Sorry, what should I used the watered down PVA for?

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just trying to cover all bases if someone else found the thread.

If you fill all the joints in one go, i.e the whole room and you only skim one or two walls, then the other ones will be a lot dryer by the time you come to skim them and will benefit from a bit of watered down pva on the joints. You can see the dried out skim where it’s feathered out in my pic. This is only after about 20 mins, so a quick wet with the brush is fine. This was a small room, about 3x1.6m so I put the whole room on in one go. Apologies, but you mentioned you were a beginner, so I assumed you’ll be doing a wall or two at a time.

Sootay12 likes this.
  7. Sootay12

Sootay12 New Member

Ah ok I see. Thank you for clarifying that for me. I will be starting at 1 wall at a time and probably will remain at one wall at a time to be honest.

CGN likes this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I was the same so don’t worry. In that case, just fill the joint on the wall you’re working on then repeat. Good luck

Sootay12 likes this.