Plastering after stripping woodchip

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Terence Slattery, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Terence Slattery

Terence Slattery New Member

Hi All,

I'm working on a house which is covered head to toe in woodchip wallpaper.

My plan was to remove the woodchip (plus any underlying papers / layers of paint) and then line the walls with backing paper to paint over where the walls are not in too bad a condition or skim the walls with multi finish before painting or if they required it.

Unfortunately however when I've removed the woodchip in some parts the walls were shot to bits, plaster had blown and underneath when I scratched at the crumbling plaster it goes right back to the board in a couple of spots. In the majority of parts however the wall is okay so I'm thinking the best way to proceed is to just lay on the PVA mix and then the following day to apply second PVA coat and then fill in the damaged parts with some thistle bonding plaster and then reskim the whole wall with multi finish.

I'll attach images of the damaged wall and the others in the room I finished stripping today. If anyone has any alternative suggestions however or challenges I'd be interested as I'm not a professional plasterer and just a DIY'er so any advice from your experience on similar projects would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      189.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      195.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      203.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      165.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      208.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I think it's going to depend how solid the rest of the plaster is on the laths. If it's loose, you are going to fight it for ever - it will crack, in which case there are probably two options - strip the plaster and laths and reboard/reskim, or, if you don't want to strip, you could overboard using 9mm board and foam adhesive. The foam is ideal here because it stays as a thin layer. It will consolidate the existing plaster. If you can push a few screws through into the wall studs it will help as well.

You have an existing cornice by the looks. If you can't squeeze the 9mm under the cornice, then strip the wall plaster back. If you run a disk cutter under the cornice first right through the plaster layer you can strip the walls and leave the cornice in place. Dusty, but works - I've done it - I managed to retain an edwardian cornice by stripping and reboarding the walls up to the picture rail, and overboarding the lath ceiling, using an MDF trim to trim off the board edge

Is that door an original panel under a hardboard skin? wouldn't be surprised. If you have to waste the archs and skirts, you can get MDF repros from here https://www.skirting4u.co.uk/architrave/899-victorian-2-architrave

Looks like a nice project.

Terence Slattery likes this.
  3. Terence Slattery

Terence Slattery New Member

The rest of seems okay from what I can tell when pressing on it to be fair, but good shout on the 9mm boards with foam adhesive, I will give it another look tomorrow and really press on it to see if there are any large areas I may have missed where the plaster feels damaged and then cut back to the laths and replace with a cut from a 9mm board with foam adhesive while also screwing the board into the laths and then I can just apply some join tape around the edges and add bonding plaster to bring it level (or close to level) before skimming with multi finish, that should do the tick cheers.