Plastering Course

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Up4rent, Sep 7, 2005.

1. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

what can you learn in college you cant learn onsite I never went to college and from what i here from it I never missed much

2. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

and if you lot want to pay to learn pay me the going rate £500 isit and ill teach you all you need to know in a week in the cardiff area !!!

3. RUNRUNAWAY

RUNRUNAWAY New Member

HI
    WHY WORN IN TROWELS AND IF YOU DON'T BUY ONE WORN IN HOW DO YOU WEAR IT IN
    THANK YOU

4. RUNRUNAWAY

RUNRUNAWAY New Member

HI
    HAD A PLASTERER AROUND TO PLASTER MY BATHROOM BEEN PLASTERING FOR 30+ YEARS (RIGHT) IN MILTON KEYNES HE WAS **** WENT OVER IT MYSELF COST ME £150
    ALL FULL OF ****
    DIY IS BEST

5. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

you can but pre wore in trowels from marshelltown but you can ware them in but it takes months. you can run them over concrete to get the edges down ect

6. Boxer Red

Boxer Red New Member

runrunaway. They best way i've found is to buy worn in trowels from marshaltown, but the best way to wear in a cheaper trowel is to use it alot for rendering. the sand is very abrasive and wears in the edges / corners quicker.

7. RUNRUNAWAY

RUNRUNAWAY New Member

THANK YOU

8. Nearnwales I did a stint in Caerphilly a few years back and those south welsh boys were the worse spreads I have encountered in my entire life!

9. bmbplastering

bmbplastering New Member

i had a lad working for me, i trained him up for six months he could throw just about anything at a wall and flatten it quiet reasonably. he was to start leeds college of building on a three year aprenyeship in sept 05( same course i did 11 years ago) he decided to have a week off and booked a five day course in plastering (to get more practice) when he came back he wanted to skim cielings with multi finishstick boards and beads on with bonding and had forgotten what a straight corner angle looked like. he not only wasted £500. but months of training and in the end they had shown him so many dodgy short cuts and bad working practises that i sacked him 4 weeks after he came back because i couldnt affords to correct all his mistakes.

so do i think these courses are worth it? for the guy doing a bodge of his oxn house YES. for the guy wanting to set up a good honest, well prepaired proffessional plastering business NO WAY. there are several plasteres set up from this course in my local area. charging £160 for an entire room bodging it , then i have to go in and put it right all this does is slate the trade cost customers far too much and make people wary of all plasterers

rant over

10. bmbplastering

bmbplastering New Member

hokie email me at Bmbplastering@aol.com if you have transport to the wakefield area. im looking for some help.

11. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

hang on here you trained a lad up for 6 months and then he went on a week course and then you sacked him for shobby work you shouldnt leave him alone to do the shobby work in the first place hes only just started to plaster. skimming ceilings with muti ist a sackable offence neither is putting beads on with bonding ( I dont thou ) .

andy

12. RUNRUNAWAY

RUNRUNAWAY New Member

HI
    DID YOU GO ON THE COURSE
    THANK YOU

13. smooth it

smooth it New Member

i went on one of these so called '****'5 day courses after loosing my day job that was back in march and within two weeks was earning good money, i still have the odd nightmare but am learning with each job and am very proud of the quality of my work.
    to the man thats just won the big contract i would be more than happy to offer my services

14. smooth it

smooth it New Member

you don't know what your talking about mate !!!!

15. layiton

layiton New Member

if you have the money a course will give you the basics but you then need to get work with a plasterer and gain the experience you need. like some of the other lads said you might think your a good spread but years down the line you will realise that you were not. 16 years ago i started labouring for a local spread,he paid me £10 per day for 3 years but my dad(god rest his soul) told me to stick it out,pick his brains then f*#k him off.thats wot i done,then entered the real world of plastering,price work! nobody inexperienced can earn a living on price. i went through it all,earning peanuts but it was all valuable experience and now am very good spread with good reputation in my area.

16. DB Builders

DB Builders New Member

Funny that. Having been plastering for oooooohh so many years not that it matters how long more how well, plastering is a skill and should not be taken lightly. You can either make life heavenly for your painters or absolute hell, sorry theres no in betweenies here, the walls ceilings are flat or not.
    Hoskie good luck mate with your 5 million trillion pound contract I assume this is place bradford is near disney land??
    If I'm being unreasonable/envious then please elborate on how where, whom you spoke to etc on winning such a contract. I assume the tender was posted somewhere and the winning bidder notifed to the public it's the law don't you know..